Find tool

07-14-2011 09:31 AM
DanaVan_Horn
New Contributor
We have recently changed to Explorer Desktop from ArcReader. I was wondering if there is a way to use the find tool to search the layers and not just the basemap? I made layer packages from ArcGIS 10 and added them to the other machines in the office. They are able to see the data if they click on a feature but they cannot search. For example, we will locate a person's property by typing their name into the find tool and it searches the parcel data layer. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dana Van Horn
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DustinDunnill
Occasional Contributor
It would be so user friendly if the Find tool could look in the layer Attribute/field data.  We can dream.  Come on ESRI Explorer Desktop crew, make it happen 🙂
0 Kudos
SveinungRaheim
Occasional Contributor
I have created a local geocode for placenames. It works fine i arcMap. As far as I can see, I have to publish it to arcgisserver to be able to add this lokal place name search to ArcGISexplorer desktop (build 1750). Is this right? Is it no way to add a geocode directly from a file based geodatabase?

Regards

Sveinung Råheim
GIS-manager
Govenor of Svalbard, Norway
0 Kudos
CodyScott
Occasional Contributor
I know i've posted this before on another thread in the forum, but this seems to be a common issue.

I have a generic find tool created that might help with this issue.
You can download it here. Hopefully this helps with the searching issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13804[/ATTACH]

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=8ee8e5aa8ec74593a890ca98368dc73f
0 Kudos