Select to view content in your preferred language

Exporting layer package to display in ArcExplorer

10-28-2011 09:43 AM
SusanMarcher
Emerging Contributor
Happy Friday! Can someone help me out here?
I'm exporting several layer packages from ArcGIS 9.3 to display in ArcExplorer. I want the pop-ups to display consistently in ArcExplorer and the fields have same names (alias), type, length,... I also want the Primary Display Field to display the same field name (alias) for all packages.
The problem is that ArcGIS exports the label at the very top as a field name on some packages and an alias (which I prefer) on other packages. It seems random but I've exported the same packages several times and it happens on the same packages. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavidRead
Occasional Contributor
I don't have an answer for you, sorry......just some questions if you don't mind.   Once a layer package is created I bring it into AE successfully, but cannot find the pop up function. Does AE support pop ups with layers or layer packages. I think not, but may have missed something.

One other issue is when going to 3D mode in AE with these layer packages, the symbols get larger and appear to have some kind of reference scale set.   So I actually set a reference scale in AM then reexported to package with same result. It appears layer packages don't honor reference scale settings....any ideas on these issues, thanks.
0 Kudos
SarahGreenlaw
Regular Contributor
Hi Susan!  Did you get your question answered? it's been nearly 2 months, so I hope so!

The popup functionality in ArcGIS Explorer (I'm using Build 1750) IS a little wierd- I discovered it by accident.  You have to double click on the map, and a big blue "i" info circle pops up, with a window showing the features that were found there.  You then click on the field name underneath the layer, and the popup for that layer appears.  See the attached screen shots- a picture is worth a 1000 words!!

It seems that ArcGIS Explorer is using my label field as the primary for the popup. 

hope this helps!
Sarah
0 Kudos
CameronWallace
Deactivated User
A bit late to the game... but you need to make sure you've enabled HTML pop-up in you layer before exporting it, otherwise you may not be able to get the pop-up to work.
0 Kudos