Export PDF Layers and Feature Attributes, display of attributes in pdf? TIA

12-14-2010 07:19 AM
PhilHasty
New Contributor II
How does this work on the adobe side?

1- I can go from adobe's model tree and zoom to a point feature, but not from a point feature to the tree of data.

When I use the Export PDF Layers and Feature Attributes option I thought you could use Adobe Reader's Object Data Tool to select a feature and get the feature information to display for that feature.

When I try this with my address points layer (all other layers visibility fields turned off) I'm getting a list of names in the model tree for all the points on the pdf. I can zoom from the list to each, but I cannot pick a point and see data for that point.

2- Not listing feature names in model tree for parcel polygon data.

And when I try this with my parcel data, I get a list of the word "feature" in adobe's model tree, not a list of TaxPins like I wanted. The taxPIN shows up for a feature selected in the model tree.

Do I need to do something different in ArcMap or Adobe, or is this the way it is supposed to work?

TIA, Phil
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterMacKenzie
New Contributor II
I agree. I have a relatively large dataset, with a hundred or so of these 'features' listed rather than the unique identifier. What use is that?
0 Kudos
LukeZakrzewski
New Contributor
I'm not an expert on this but I stumbled across this thread while trying to figure out why selecting features is slow and clunky.  Here are some things that I've discovered that may help your concerns:

1.  From the model tree select the layer (it will bold highlight the name) you want to select from the map.  Then wait for the map to recognize your selection (it will turn all features red)  Then use the object data tool to select a feature.  This should bring up the attributes.  Be patient

2.  Before you export out from ArcMap to PDF go to the properties, fields tab of each layer you want to id from in the PDF and change the primary display field to the field you want displayed in the PDF.
JoeSnustad
New Contributor
The reason the features names are being called "Feature" is because your primary display field(TaxPin) isn't "checked" to be displayed in the Fields tab under Layer Properties.  This may also be why no attributes are being shown.  If you go to Layer Properties, then Fields tab, under the "Name" Column there will be boxes next to all the attributes of that feature class.  If those boxes are checked, they will be exported with your PDF.  If none are checked, that is why your attributes aren't being exported. I hope this helps if the problem hasn't already been solved.
0 Kudos