ERROR ADDING LAYERS/SHAPEFILES

07-20-2010 02:59 PM
dimitriantoniou
New Contributor
I am running ArcGIS Explorer 1200 build on my computer. I try to add layers and layer packages and I get the error "Failed to add layer package......Invalid File" I tried several times recreating the layer file in arcmap and i get the same error.

I have also tried adding just the shapefile and then symbolizing as one would so in arcmap but it doesnt seem to have this capability. Has anyone experienced similar issues?
0 Kudos
23 Replies
WilliamLord
New Contributor
Add me to the list. I am using a LPK file from the ESRI Press GIS 20 Essential Skills. In Ch19, we are to open build 1200 as supplied on the CD and load a LPK file. AS posted, I also get the Invalid File error. This same LPK file will load just fine in ArcGIS v10 SP1. The file is on my local C drive. I also tested the layer package RoadSurface...same results....downloaded a LPk file from the Resource Center called World Countries...same result. I have Vista Home Premium 64 bit on PC and 32 bit on my laptop...same result. Is there an error log that would better identify the source of my frustration? I have used the book's build 1200 and a new downloaded copy. Same story.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

It sounds like you have a consistent issue opening Layer Packages on your laptop and PC - obviously this is not the normal behaviour.

- Have you installed version 1500? (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-explorer/1500/download)

- Are you in 2D or 3D?

- Just to make sure - I'd suggest running the system requirements checker: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri_if/1186/10895

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
WilliamLord
New Contributor
I ran the test on both the desktop and laptop with the PC barely failing only on CPU and the laptop passing all tests. I have broadband wireless which does make for a slower load but once stable the files will not load on either platform. What exactly is Explorer saying when the error Invalid File is generated? If the file loads in ArcMap then why is it Invalid in Explorer? I have attempted to load 1500 but on the PC, it loads extremely slow with my desktop failing to fade away. I will try 1500 on my laptop this weekend. Is there an error log?
0 Kudos
PaulBoehnlein
New Contributor II
Mike,

I noticed you mentioned 2D/3D. Why is this important?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

I asked about 2D or 3D becuase they use different control/rendering engines/caching mechanisms. Therefore it's possible that the data you're expertiencing problems with may work in one display mode but not the other.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
LucasMurray
New Contributor
Does anyone know if there�??s a limit to the number of records explorer can show from a single feature class? 

I�??ve got a feature class with over a million records in it.  When I try adding it to Explorer 1500, I get an error: �??Failed to add Geodatabase layer(s).�?�  When I try adding it as a layer or layer package, the file will load but no symbology shows up.  It�??s only when I break the feature class into smaller pieces that the file will load with no trouble.  I'd like to know how small the feature class needs to be for it to load successfully into explorer.

FYI, the feature class is being stored in a file geodatabase created with version 10.
0 Kudos
JoelDuChateau
New Contributor II
I am having continued problems with a layer package and layers created from ArcMap 10.  They all say "invalid file" when trying to add.  Layers and layer packages created from ArcMap 9.3 continue to work fine.
0 Kudos
JoeMierzwinski
New Contributor
I am also having this issue.  My error is specific to stating that the layer package cannot find the shapefile that was used to create the layer package.  Although I have not moved, removed or renamed that shapefile.
I have 3 users in my office utilizing the same layer package on their own machines.  2 users are not having any issues, but one is.  I have cleared all caching and still can not get that layer package to display.
The package once worked on her machine, but then one day just opened up the map doc in ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and it has not worked since.
0 Kudos
JoelDuChateau
New Contributor II
Update from ESRI, seems it is a Service Pack 1 bug:

The only workaround of this bug is uninstalling 10 SP1 and then create the layer package with ArcGIS 10.0.
0 Kudos
DonCopple
Occasional Contributor III
I have experienced these problems with just generic layer files created in ArcGIS 9.3.  AGX just crashes after several minutes trying to load, 2D and 3D.
0 Kudos