Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
For those that can't wait any longer...

http://gisupdates.esri.com/ArcGISExplorer/Build2500/ArcGISExplorerDownload.exe

The Esri webpages and resource centers will be rolling over in the next couple days but the download links are live.

Thanks for you feedback during the course of this release and please do continue to provide your good ideas.

The ArcGIS Explorer team is also interested in how you use ArcGIS Explorer, what is the most important functionality to you and your organization?  What would make it better?   Post it in this thread, or if you don't feel like sharing with the world you can always e-mail me directly. 

For help with using the software or problems encountered, please use the general ArcGIS Explorer desktop forum, rather than this thread or e-mailing me directly.

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Honored Contributor
Mark:

I thank you and your team for the hard work that you put into this product and the time you spend responding to all of our questions and comments.  I can only guess that you and your team are as excited to release this new build as we are to install and use it.

Sincerely,
Joe
0 Kudos
NickRose2
Emerging Contributor
Thanks,

I am those that couldn't wait, and my impressions are good.

If I am jumping the gun, and theres more information when the documentation is up, forgive me, but just a couple of things:

• We now publish query layers on an enterprise database (SQL Server, not geodatabase) as map services, and I find that when I query the layer in ArcGIS Explorer, and click the 'Get sample values', only one is returned, and when you test a query, and click OK, only one point is added to the layer, despite multiple features being found, and the attribute table showing all these records. This behaviour does not occur with geodatabases. This will unfortunately mean we have to rely on Web API's for users to properly consume such web services.

• I am not sure how to connect to a 10.1 geodatabase as the dialog window is for the old 10.0 and previous versions.

Thanks for improving the geocoding service for Australia. Much appreciated.

What would be nice if you could see the attribute table for MapServices, as well as being able to change the symbology.

Otherwise, it is a great improvement, and so far seems stable.

Regards,

Nick
0 Kudos
MatthewMurray1
Occasional Contributor
Mark,

When the download becomes live will the Data expansion pack become available to?

Thanks
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Mark,

When the download becomes live will the Data expansion pack become available to?

Thanks

Yes,  In the existing 1750 URLS you can replace 1750 with 2500 to get them.

The Esri website pages should update some time today.

Mark
0 Kudos
SveinungRaheim
Deactivated User
varunscool;237835 wrote:
I have 2 issues to report

1) Test result : ArcGIS explorer crashes as soon as I change locators under Manage locators

Steps

1. Open ArcGIS explorer from Start > programs

2. click on ArcGIS explorer button

3. Now Select ArcGIS explorer options

4. Select resources

5. click on locators button

6. Now I have added my custom locator file. Click on Add

7. The file that I have added is displayed in the list of locator files

8. Now when I select the new locator and click on activate arcexplorer crashes

QUOTE]

I downloaded 2500 today (February 14). I experience the exact same problem as described above.
I also experience, that when I search a place name, the locator find the correct place efficiently, but then ArcGISexplorer zooms to a completely different locaton (0° 0°, at equator...). If I add the location to the map, then doubleclick it, then AGE zooms back to the actual location.
I have tested this with same result both with local geocode file (.loc) and with the service published to ArcGISserver.
I build 1750 the ArcGISserver solution worked fine!

Frustrated regards

Sveinung Bertnes Råheim
GIS-advisor
Govenor of Svalbard
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Sveinung,

I sounds like you are encountering two issues.

1.  The locator you are using crashes when added.

2. Searching for a Place using ArcGIS online finds the place, but does not correctly zoom to it.

For 1, does the crash occur if you add the following locator.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2762115db7974238aac21d5d0720a769

For 2,  Does this occur with all places you find? (ex. Search for "Redlands' and it zooms to 0,0)

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
SveinungRaheim
Deactivated User
The strange thing is, that the locator seems to work - I find places only available in ArcGIS-online. And I can choose my locator when clicking in the dropdown-list in the Find-tool. But if I try to open and remove/activate the locator in the preferences dialog (as described in the qouted text), ArcGIS explorer imidiatly crashes.

The zoom to-error comes both from a local .loc-file and from the same locator published to a public ArcGISserver.

I will try your loc-file tomorrow.

Thanks for quick reply.

Sveinung
0 Kudos
DavidHaines
Regular Contributor
John,

The ArcGIS Explorer 2500 SDK remains unchanged.   An add-in developed with 1500 will work in 2500.

Mark

If the SDK remains unchanged, does that mean we won't be able to use the set Map Text, Overlay Text, Pop-up Size and Position, etc. in code?

Or you mean (please I hope) that an existing code won't break, and that we do get the new stuff.
0 Kudos
DavidHaines
Regular Contributor
Can you install 2500 concurently with 1700/1750?  What about the SDK?
0 Kudos