Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Explorer 2500 Crashes after Selecting Previous Slide

05-20-2013 08:14 AM
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
I have a user having trouble with the 2500 version on Windows 7.  (XP version works ok)
When I open up AGX Desktop,
1.click Edit Presentation, (moving the slides window off of the toolbar ribbon)
2.zoom/pan to an area, Click Capture new slide (1st)
3.then zoom/pan to another area, Click Capture new slide (2nd)
4.then click on the 1st slide in the slides window
Explorer crashes:
"Arc GIS Explorer has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working. Please close the program"

Is there a log I can view to help me figure out why it's crashed?
Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
On the crash popup, expand the crash view problem details:
Fault Bucket, type 0
Event Name: CLR20.3
Response: Not Available
Cab Id: 0
Problem Signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20.3
  Problem Signature01: e3.exe
  Problem Signature02: 2.0.0.2500
  Problem Signature03: 5112b68d
  Problem Signature04: ESRI.ArcGISExplorer
  Problem Signature05: 2.0.0.1500
  Problem Signature06: 5112cd16
  Problem Signature07: 1ae6
  Problem Signature08: a
  Problem Signature09: ESRI.ArcGISExplorer.Threading
  OSVersion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID: 1033

Using Microsoft's Event Viewer did not reveal any interesting errors.
Also using sysinternals procmon.exe did not reveal anything either.

The user uses a custom config file for which the url location is specified by the registry key HKLM\Software\Wow6432node\ESRI\Explorer2500\Settings\AppConfig with a data value of the url location of the custom config file such as "http://url_address/custom_config_file.ncfg"
What we've just found is that by downloading this config file outside of AGX, and then pointing the key to the downloaded location: "C:\Users\myid\Downloads\custom_config_file.ncfg" that we no longer crash!

For fun:
1) we set the local file properties version now under C:\Users\myid\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISExplorer\AppConfig\custom_config_file.ncfg to Read Only, retried - and got a popup with "Unable to access application configuration C:\Users\myid\Downloads\custom_config_file.ncfg"

2) Left the Read Only property set on the local version under C:\Users\myid\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGISExplorer\AppConfig, reset the registry key to point back to the url version, and got the same Unable to access popup but now indicating it couldn't access the url version.

3) Changed the local version to no longer be Read Only, with the registry key pointing to the url version, AGX removed the local version from the AppConfig directory and gave the same popup Unable to access the url version.

4) Now with no config file in the AppConfig directory, retried again with the key still pointing to the url version, AGX came up.  When we attempt to repeat the original steps from the first post - AGX crashes.

Looks like a difference in the way the file is treated by AGX on Win 7 vs. XP.  Is it possible that AGX is trying to write to the file or perhaps open for write (whether its intent is to write or just lock the file) and can't on Win 7 to the url file - vs. XP where this is not an issue?
0 Kudos
BrendaWalsh
New Contributor
Update:  We haven't been able to isolate what is unique by downloading the URL config file and then pointing to this downloaded version works vs. having the URL specificed in the AppConfig registry key.  Using Wireshark did not provide any solid clues.  There were a few 404 NOT FOUNDs for some redirect.xml files, but these are not found when using the downloaded version of the config file too.

I developed a workaround by writing a .vbs script to detect if we need to download the URL config file, then download it and call AGX with the downloaded file as a command line parm starting AGX.

I'll continue to poke at isolating/troubleshooting.
0 Kudos