Select to view content in your preferred language

Wrong search result

06-28-2024 08:28 AM
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

This happened in WAB a lot, and I was hoping that EB fixed it, but apparently not.

Sometimes, for no reason I can see, clicking on a search result takes the user to the wrong point. E.g., They type in "ABC", click on "ABC" in the list, and then get taken to/select "XYZ".

Sometimes this happens back-to-back. Sometimes clearing search field and trying again resolves the issue.

I can't find a way to recreate this issue.

I saw this happen yesterday to someone I was helping. We were both searching for the same project. I was able to locate is successfully, they weren't. As soon as I tried to search a second time, I got taken to the wrong property as well (oddly enough, I was taken to the same wrong property). Refreshing the page resolved the issue. In this case, the wrong property was (I believe) overlapping the correct project location; however, I have see users be taken to very different parts of the country so I don't think location is the only factor.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AndrewSpencer
New Contributor II

I had a similar issue which I'll relate in case it is relevant. 

We have a layer as part of an onsite map service that is proxied through ArcGIS Online. It appears that ArcGIS Online may be caching the service such that when you have a frequently changing layer the OBJECTIDs get out of sync. So searching on a feature will return the feature that had that OBJECTID the day before.

The solution for us was to add the layer as a feature service instead of as a map service.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's good to hear that having your map as a Feature Service resolved the issue.

I have been pushing for this particular map service to be saved as a Feature Service for some time (for unrelated feature enhancements). That should finally be happening in the next month or so, so maybe that will also resolve this strange search result issue.

Unfortunately, even if this does resolve the issue, I don't think I'll know for quite some time given how difficult it is to recreate. Only time will tell.

0 Kudos