When creating a new feature using Editor widget in Experience Builder, can you auto-populate with a field from a related table?

01-24-2023 07:54 AM
Labels (1)
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

I am building an Experience Builder on a self-hosted feature service with multiple related tables.  We are building a directory, so there are multiple related tables and features.  

Agency table has Programs as children

Programs have services as children

Services are features with locations.  

I'm trying to set up an test editing Experience for the person who will be maintaining to try out the workflow.  This has to be fairly simple and intuitive to go through for the user.

I am debating between setting up two tabs (1. Edit existing data, 2. Create new data) versus allowing everything to be done on a single page.    The answer to this will probably boot this into the two tab category.

I have the agencies set up, and selecting an agency filters a Programs list below it.  Selecting a program filters the services. 

When creating a new service, I want to know if using the Editor widget allows me to auto-populate a new service with the related Program GUID?  I don't want to have to put instructions for the user to copy/paste the GUID from a previous step if I can avoid this by having it auto-populate.  Really trying to avoid error opportunities here.  I know I can do this with Survey123, but I am testing out the Editor widget first and would like to know if this is an option between two related tables or a related table and a feature service.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

According to a blog post from today, this should be possible. Doesn't look like it's available in Portal yet, but an AGOL map should be able to use FeatureSet functions in a Smart Form to auto-populate a field, and other apps (like Experience Builder) will load that form as it is configured in the map.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Kara_Shindle

I saw that too but haven't had a lot of time to delve into it.  Right now, when I'm trying to build the Smart Forms, the GUID fields are not available as a field to add to the form, so working out why that is the case.

0 Kudos
Kara_Shindle

I don't know that that blog covers this particular use case - I think my issue is that I cannot send data to the form using the editor widget.  

Ideally, I'd like to be able to select an agency, and then create a program that auto-populates the related Agency GUID in the Programs table. Then I could select a Program, and add Services (attributes & Geometry)  with it also auto-populating the related program GUID in the services layer.

I think my issue is that I'm not sure that you can send data to the editor via a selection in Experience Builder. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@Kara_Shindle Perhaps the expression sample provided here would help? Fetch an Attribute From a Related Record

This would work upon creating and updating the features.

0 Kudos