Select to view content in your preferred language

Trace Geometric Network in ArcGIS Experience Builder

01-05-2024 08:54 AM
RachappaBellappa1
New Contributor III

Hello

We have an electric geometric network, upgrading our ps from WAB to Exp Builder. I was trying to use the Utility Network trace widget but it doesn't support GN tracing. Reached out to ESRI tech support but  got this response

We cannot use Geometric Network in the utility network trace widget in Experience Builder dev edition out of the box. Unlike the trace widget in Web App Builder, Experience Builder dev edition only supports Utility Networks for tracing. Here are some workarounds that you may want to consider,

Please let us know if anyone has used/created  

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Isaac_King
New Contributor III

I'm shocked that someone from Esri characterized a Utility Network (UN) migration as a "workaround." Depending on the size of your network, this would be a fairly significant undertaking. It's worth noting that a UN migration is almost certainly in your future since you're using an electric GN - but that's a bigger topic.

For your immediate need, I believe you'd need to configure a TraceGeometricNetwork GP service and develop a custom ExpB widget to call the service. I have a project potentially looking at this solution, but have not seen it done firsthand. Perhaps @RobertKrisher has a better suggestion though!

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

I wouldn't characterize the Utility Network as being a workaround in this situation. It is known that the geometric network is going away and that the utility network is one of several network management options to act as a replacement. The utility network supports tracing OOTB in web and mobile applications, so this appears to be an appropriate recommendation for the requirement.

Supporting tracing on the GN through the experience builder is going to require several levels of customization, but it sounds like you are on the right path. Be warned that the second/third link in the original post is discussing the trace network (not a geometric network) so some of the finer points may not be applicable.

0 Kudos