Survey Widget (send data to this survey)

04-06-2020 11:17 AM
ZacharyVavra
New Contributor III

I'm having an issue with the Survey Widget's "send data to this survey" functionality.

I'm attempting to create an app where the user selects an item in the List Widget and both the Map Widget and Survey Widget respond to the selection. The Map Widget is responding correctly (zooming to and selecting the feature), but the Survey Widget does not automatically populate the survey's fields with the selected feature's attribute fields. The survey only populates after the user clicks on the feature in the map.

The List Widget actions I have set up are "Zoom to" on the map and "Select Data Records" on the Framework.

Is there a way for survey fields to automatically populate a feature's attributes when selecting the affiliated item in the List Widget? I don't want the user to have to actually select the feature in the map to populate the survey fields.

The attached image is a screenshot of the "Balsam Volunteer Fire Dept" selected in the list, and displayed in the Map, but the survey field "Fire Station" did not update.

Thank you!

9 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Zachary,

The Survey widget has a click event on the map view, which updates the information in the survey. This was by design and we have logged this an issue to support other widgets beyond the map.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
ZacharyVavra
New Contributor III

Hello David,

Thanks for the prompt response! I look forward to seeing this functionality in the future! Thanks again to you and the development team for creating this great tool!

Best,
Zach

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A similar question: is there a way to link a map view with the Survey map? We're wanting to compare two maps and have the user click on a third map (in the survey) and fill out comments in the survey, based on issues they see in the main two maps. Said another way: we want the "compare" web app with the capability of creating features in one layer (that's in both maps). As far as I can tell, it's not possible that way, but maybe a work around in ExB?

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Annina,

Currently, the survey binds to one map with the selected source layer if you would like to send data to the survey. How are you comparing the two maps? Just reviewing and once you find an issue, do you select anything on one of those two maps? Or is it up to the user to just fill out the survey based upon the issues they see with one of those two maps? What does the third map provide?

Thanks,

David 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply, David. Maybe I can explain better! What we're doing is comparing floodplains on two maps. The maps are linked, so the user is looking at the same area. However, there are different layers in the maps. One shows what the current floodplain looks like and the other what some proposed changes would be. The user reviews the proposed changes and needs to be able to provide feedback about certain areas.

Currently, we are employing the swipe and edit widgets in WAB. (The edit widget starts an edit session on the comment layer; this allows the reviewer to create a point in the appropriate location and type their comment in the attributes). The problem is that there are too many layers that are visible on the one side of the swipe area. We'd really like to show one set of layers on one side and one set of layers on the other. So, I looked into using the Compare app. It's perfect except that I can't start an edit session in there!

So, that brought me to ExB. Since there's the capability of linking two maps, I was hopeful. However, there's not an edit widget (yet!), and even though you can link a survey to a map, the feature must exist in the map already to fill out the survey. Regarding the "third" map: I was hoping that because I can't create a point in my main two maps that I could add a third map in the survey and have it linked to the main two maps. The user could zoom to their area in the main two maps and when ready to create a comment, go to the survey window and see a map that's in their needed location. Then the user could create a point in the survey and fill out comments there. Make sense?

Annina

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Annina,

I just wanted to close this out after our conversation that this workflow isn't supported using the survey widget.  You would need an editing widget to accomplish your workflow.

Thanks,

David 

0 Kudos
CharlesFritz2
New Contributor III

This is also a desired feature enhancement for some of our workflows - sending the selected record from a list selection to a survey widget.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
StephenRamella
New Contributor

Hi David,

I am now just using experience builder and I am having the same issue as Zachary. I was curious to know if there has been any update in regards to implementing this feature?

BryanGillis1
New Contributor II

Three* years later and we are still hoping for this feature to be implemented. Is there anything to note from esri about adding this capability? Thanks.

0 Kudos