Select to view content in your preferred language

Print widget - Include free text for user instructions

01-21-2024 11:02 PM
Lindsay
Occasional Contributor

Hi there, Great to see how far the print widget has come. One of my clients tried to use the print widget we set up for them the other day and got confused. She had zoomed into a specific layer in the map, but because she had zoomed too far in (beyond the zoom in minimum of that layer) she couldn't see it in her print export.

This is obvious to me the creator of the Experience Builder, but not for non-GIS oriented people or people unfamiliar with how to use webapps.

Is there somewhere on/within the print widget where I can write some directions like if you zoom beyond X extent you it's not going to show in the print export?

I have the print widget opening from the widget menu.

Lindsay_0-1705906850191.png

I did consider putting a warning on the splash window and the about area, but think it would be most useful for the users to see right before they go to print.

I think the ideal spot would be right above print template and print result to have some free text.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Could you set up Print Templates if this is a regular operation? Then, the end user could be instructed to "turn on Preview print extents" each time the print, which would visually remind them to zoom to an appropriate level.

You may also be able to set up a custom Print Service that has a field with extra details in it. While I don't have an example of a plain "note", here an example of a Print Service with extra options (which would be located under "Advanced"):

abureaux_0-1705964809471.png

0 Kudos
Lindsay
Occasional Contributor

@abureaux Interesting. Thank you. I've always just used the default utilities ArcGIS Online provides. I'll have a look into customising the utility further.

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

I want to provide a different perspective for your reference.

I guess that you are printing the map using the current map extent, so sometimes the layers are visible in the app, but invisible on the print output.

What do you think about printing the map using the current map scale? This will ensure that the visibility of the layers is the same in the app and on the print output. However, the view of the printed map will be different, but you can use the Preview print extents to help identify the print extent.

Shengdi

0 Kudos
Lindsay
Occasional Contributor

Hi @ShengdiZhang . Thanks for your reply. That's a good suggestion. I would be more inclined to do that if we could get a scale bar like 1:250,000 or 1:50,000 showing in the web map in Experience Builder rather than 5 km or 5 miles. My clients think in the former way, not the latter. I put an idea about this in the Experience Builder Ideas forum a while back. I really think this should be considered especially if printing maps is now an option.