Pop Ups Not Working When Map Is In Sidebar Widget

Jump to solution
10-03-2023 07:10 AM
Labels (1)
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

In experience builder, I've added a sidebar widget to show the attribute tables of different features in my map widget, and put the map widget in one of the panes for the sidebar so it is still fully interactive when the attribute table is collapsed.

I noticed that this has made pop ups no longer work when using the map. I can pan and zoom, and use the measure/select tools no problem but when I click on a feature on the map the pop ups no longer come up and a feature is not selected. I've triple checked that pop ups are enabled for the map widget and the associated feature, and I even duplicated the map widget and placed it outside of the sidebar on its own and the pop ups work fine.

Unsure if this is just a bug/oversight on ESRI's part or if there is some extra step I need to configure in the sidebar widget to make pop ups work again when the map widget is part of the sidebar.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/automatically-display-coordinates-...

Ahhh. I have seen this one before. Your problems are related. You added the coordinate widget and set it to run on some coordinate system that isn't playing nicely with your base map (state plane?). Set the default on your coordinate widget to Web Mercator and I bet your popups return.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Maps should not need any special configuration to make popups work inside a sidebar. And if you can pan, zoom, etc., you have avoided the trap where the sidebar covers up the map making it not interactive.

Is your sidebar very wide? Perhaps the popups are not working properly because there is not enough screen area within the map for the popup to display.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

Yes I actually encountered that trap last week until I realized the sidebar has two separate frames to put widgets into lol...

The sidebar is about 80% of the width of the entire window when you use the application. It's the same width as when I was just using the map widget and had not yet decided to include a sidebar (technically it's a bottom bar). So there should be more than enough screen area for the pop-ups to display.

I'm thinking it has to be some kind of bug, see attached screenshot of what the app looks like:

CameronLacelle_0-1696344384940.png

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

You have some non-standard icons. How does the Feature Search work? Are you using any custom widgets? It's possible one of them is interfering with the popups. 

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/automatically-display-coordinates-...

Ahhh. I have seen this one before. Your problems are related. You added the coordinate widget and set it to run on some coordinate system that isn't playing nicely with your base map (state plane?). Set the default on your coordinate widget to Web Mercator and I bet your popups return.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

I've tried that but it still doesn't bring the pop up. I'm not currently using any custom widgets, just added custom icons on the left side for switching between widgets in the Section widget. This shouldn't impact the pop-ups.

When I place the same map widget outside of the sidebar the pop ups work fine so I am thinking it's more related to that than a coordinate problem

0 Kudos
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

It is the coordinates/coordinate conversion widget that's causing the map pop ups to be non functional. As soon as I remove that link the pop ups work again. We need the ability to overwrite the coordinate system of the base maps and the layers on a map to all follow the same CRS. Web Mercator base maps and UTM layers and having no way to force the basemap to have UTM CRS is frustrating.

Thank you for your help, Jeffrey.

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

You can have the Coordinate widget turned on, but the default option needs to be something that works with your map. It looks like you are building an internal application, so you can teach your users that they can switch to a different coordinate system, get the location and switch back before resuming other uses.

JeffreyThompson2_0-1696530189714.png

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
CameronLacelle
Occasional Contributor

It seems to be a big with the map widget itself. Weird because when I duplicated the map widget I had the duplicate's pop ups worked fine but the original did not even after taking it out of the sidebar widget. Some sort of strange bug.

0 Kudos