Select to view content in your preferred language

New Experience Builder update (06/2023) - map zoom is jumpy, not smooth.

Jump to solution
06-20-2023 05:53 AM
TanGnar
Occasional Contributor

Since the most recent update in Experience Builder (June 2023), my maps in experience builder are very jumpy when zooming. The zoom experience was pretty smooth before the update. It also causes the basemap to flash when zooming. The same map zooms smoothly in Map Viewer.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@TanGnar Thanks for your help. I get what you meant now. We need to use decimal zoom level to 

get the best real-time extent synchronization of multiple maps for the recent release.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@TanGnar could you provide a reproducible sample while contacting Esri Support to help us investigate it?

0 Kudos
TanGnar
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Jianxia, sure, here is a public app where using the scroll wheel on a mouse produces a jumpy experience. 

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/368c6b8ebc164f21877eda6aa3aa4fcf/page/fishing/ 

Zoom in and out buttons zoom smoothly, however. All is smooth on mobile. So really it's a scroll-wheel thing, I guess. Issue exists in Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.

Another issue that may or may not be related... when I hover my list now (same app), it flashes each list item. Sometimes you can see the underlying list markup (e.g. {field_name}). Hovering the list did not used to produce that effect. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

@TanGnar , thanks for sharing the app.However we could not see the problem in Chrome with a mouse on Mac. Could you please contact Esri Support?

0 Kudos
ZachBodenner
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm experiencing the same thing and I really miss the animation/stepped zoom in by scale that still occurs with the zoom buttons but not the mouse wheel. Is there a setting in the downloaded files from developer edition that can switch this back at all?

0 Kudos
iSpring
New Contributor

Hi @TanGnar  For the above app, I don't feel obvious jumpy experience. 

Before 06/2023 update, zoom level in ExB MapView was an integer, which caused animation during zooming. This is consistent with MapViewer behavior.

After 06/2023 update, the zoom level in ExB MapView is decimal, which results in no animation effect during zooming.

I create two demos with the above web map and pure JS API to show the difference.

So I am not sure if the jumpy experience that you say is referring to the missing animation of map. Could you try the above two apps and tell me your experience ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TanGnar
Occasional Contributor

That's it right there, you nailed it. So previous to the update, ExB zoom included the animation, which I think is a nicer user experience, and seems to be kept in place for Instant Apps. The 'jumpy' is indeed the un-animated zoom between levels. Is there a reason ExB needed to use decimal instead? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

@TanGnar Thanks for your help. I get what you meant now. We need to use decimal zoom level to 

get the best real-time extent synchronization of multiple maps for the recent release.
0 Kudos
TanGnar
Occasional Contributor

Got it, thank you for clarifying for me. 

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Noting for records: This post from 6/29/2023 belongs to @QunSun.

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos