Select to view content in your preferred language

Map widget search bar does not respect web map search hint text

05-12-2023 12:34 PM
Labels (1)
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

In the settings of a web map, you can specify layers to search, and the default search hint text.

When I add a web map widget to a blank EB project, a search button is enabled by default.  When you click the search button and open the search bar, the hint text is the generic "Find address or place".  It does not seem to respect the "Hint text" setting of the web map item.

Is this a bug?

Kevin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @KevinMayall 

This is not a bug. The Map search tool label is controlled by https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/api-reference/esri-widgets-Search.html#label, which is the default string and has nothing to do with the AGOL item settings.

In Experience Builder, map tools do not have any detailed configurations. If customizations are required, the OOTB individual widgets (Search widget in your case) are recommended. Thanks for bringing this up.

0 Kudos
Tiffany_Chau
New Contributor II

Hi Kevin - 

The short answer is that there are two separate Hint sections. Instead of changing the Hint text in the "General search options", you need to change the Hint text for whichever layer or locator you are using. That is how you will get the text to show up.
In the screenshot below, you want to change the text in the Blue circle rather than the Red circle. The Blue circle is the text that will actually display within the search bar.
To get to the Blue circle, you need to create a search bar widget (which I assume you have done already) and add a new search source (which I assume you have done already as well). Then, you need to click on that search source you had selected (in this screenshot, the search source is a locator called NJ Geocode). Once you click on that, you will be able to customize your hint text.

Tiffany_Chau_1-1722351206947.png

Here is the solution explained in depth: https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/problem-the-search-hint-text-configured-in-web-maps-do...

-Tiffany

0 Kudos
KevinMayall
Occasional Contributor III

I'm actually not using a separate Search widget, since the Map widget already has one embedded within it.  It's just a shame that is does not adopt the web map's settings, nor does it have its own customization in the Map widget settings.

Kevin
0 Kudos
Tiffany_Chau
New Contributor II

Right, this search bar customizable is only possible with the Search widget. I agree - it is a shame that so many things embedded in the XBLD Map widget aren't customizable.

0 Kudos