Item details in layers list show to show the description from the item details page on ArcGIS Online

01-11-2022 09:00 AM
Labels (1)
HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

Hello, 

We are building a web app using Experience Builder. The users are going to be people who might not be familiar with Desktop GIS but should be able to understand the online web map/app. It would be really useful for them to be able to click on a button next to the layer in the layers widget/table of contents/layer tree to get up a brief description of the layer. There are about 150+ layers in total. The description would be populated with information from the item details page in ArcGIS Online. There is already the option to have 'item details' in EB, but the information it gives isn't going to be useful to the average user of our app. Does anyone know of a way to do this by adding a button which will give an item description in EB for each layer- or to change the 'item details' option that is already available to something more useful in the app. See the attached image. 

Thank you. 

GIS Analyst @ The Rivers Trust
6 Replies
SarahNoakes1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,
Did you ever get anywhere with this?  I would like to do something similar.  The best I've come up with so far is an Arcade expression in the pop-up that returns a link to the item page in AGOL, but that's a bit too full-on for most users - just the text description would give a far better UX.
Cheers,
Sarah
Cornwall Council

HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sarah, 

We didn't get any further with this and actually I was having a discussion with a colleague only yesterday that it would be a really good idea to have this. So you could click on the layer and get the item description. In our case it would be useful for user guidance, right now we have a linked pdf guidance document but this would be much easier and would stay up to date. Would you mind sharing your work around? I'm not sure if this has been added as an idea yet but it would be worth doing. 

Thank you, 

Heather

0 Kudos
SarahNoakes1

Hi Heather,

The link to the overview page only works for signed-in users, but for what it's worth, this is what I've done. In the web map pop-up configuration for each layer, I've added an Arcade expression:

SarahNoakes1_0-1696584559396.png

var theMetadata = "<a href='URL to the overview page in AGOL'>About this layer</a>";

return {
  type : 'text',
  text : theMetadata
}

SarahNoakes1_1-1696584794997.png

I'm going to add an Idea - it would be so useful just to be able to pull up the summary or description text in a hover over link.

Cheers,

Sarah
Cornwall Council

SarahNoakes1
HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

Hi @SarahNoakes1, thank you for showing how you do that. I've upvoted your idea. I've also added one which is slightly different and what we are looking for here:

Item description viewable in experience builder using the layers widget or a separate embeddable wid...

Thank you, 

Heather.

0 Kudos
SarahNoakes1

Hi @HeatherBell  - I've upvoted yours too.  

0 Kudos