Experience Builder - How/Where to Create Custom URL

02-10-2022 08:07 AM
SArcher
New Contributor III

I have seen others ask a similar question, but it still doesn't answer exactly how and where do you change the URL for EB App? 

I am using the EB App for our company's main website. So I can't have people directed to some long URL i.e. <https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/itemid>. I want to be able to share link as a shorter custom URL i.e. <www.name.com> and show the page slug whenever pages are tabbed through i.e. <www.name.com/page/name>. 

I would also like to include a favicon if possible.

I understand there is no direct way to do this and others have suggested doing either the following:

• Download Developer Edition for EB, Export the App files, Copy to Web Server
  • Embed EB within web page as an iframe

However, even after trying to follow the steps found from these documents, it is still all somewhat confusing. I need exact steps to create a Custom URL. Also, if I am using EB Developer route, how/where does all this and App get synced or edited?

Note: HUB does have this feature, however, I opted to use EB because to me it is much more user friendly. I wish EB offered the same.

8 Replies
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

I don't know the answer but am replying to this thread as I'd also love to know this!

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Once you download the Experience, you just move it to your web server and unzip it there. Say I downloaded my experience, and I'd like people to find it at https://maps.co.kendall.il.us/mapviewer. I go into my web server machine (in this case, running Microsoft IIS) and browse to C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mapviewer and extract the zip file there. That's it!

The name of the URL just refers to the web server folder I've created to hold the files. Changing the name of the folder will update the URL.

Also, when you download an experience, the favicon is in the \cdn\0\assets folder (note that the 0 may change based on the download count). The first line of the index.html file has a tag for the shortcut icon, too, so you can re-write the tag to point to some other icon you have.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
HelenCooper

Does that require delving into all this kind of stuff here: https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/guide/install-guide/ 

So far I've only used the hosted version of EB, but presuming that what you've described above takes a bit more work to set up, etc.?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it would require using the Developer Edition. But really, once you get it set up on your local machine, it looks and feels just like the online one. If you're on Enterprise, too, it's the way to use Experience Builder, and the Developer Edition gets access to the new widgets much quicker than your hosted edition. (Less of an issue if you're on AGOL).

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
HelenCooper

Thanks Josh, 

Enterprise is way beyond my budget I'm afraid, but I might put the Dev Edition on my 'list of things to look at when I get a chance'!

thanks again, 

Helen

0 Kudos
SArcher
New Contributor III

Thanks! This was very helpful info. I will try changing the folder name and see how this turns out.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is useful, but there is a Share widget within EB that does provide a shortened url and other options like a QR code. I didn't fully look but maybe there is an option to customize and use a favicon with this.

I was similarly looking for a shortened url and came across your post and also the Share widget. I'm curious if I included the share widget and then added it to pending if the code/shortened link would still work. I don't need them to show in the EB necessarily but currently they are added in the footer. This is an option in the hosted EB which is what I needed.

Thanks,

Kathy

NiagaraCoastal
New Contributor

Hi!

I actually just tried this out and all you need to do is copy the link provided from the share widget then you can completely remove it and it will still work! The link is still not perticularly descriptive but it's much shorter now!

Thanks for the tip 😄