Select to view content in your preferred language

Experience Builder-Highlighting Bookmarks

08-14-2024 05:01 AM
Labels (1)
GarthHoxsie-Quinn
Occasional Contributor

Hello all,

I am making a simple navigation page to highlight census data for Rhode Island Municipalities. I have been able to set up bookmarks to zoom us around the state to each municipality but I wanted to know if there was a way for the bookmark to provide a halo around the municipality on screen. I am aware that this would be similar to how "List" works but the reason I am not using list is because we are using Municipal Icons for each bookmark.

GarthHoxsieQuinn_0-1723636663345.png

If we use list, you can't have different images for each item on the list, the list is not able to be alphabetized, an hyperlinks do not work.

GarthHoxsieQuinn_1-1723636844260.png

I am open to any questions, thoughts, comments or concerns.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

As far as the list goes - I've set it up to use different images for each record by creating a field in the table called hyperlink and having the image point to that field. 

GIS_Weasel
Regular Contributor

@GarthHoxsie-Quinn- this is the correct solution. The List widget is most appropriate, and we've done this a bunch of times.

• Place your images onto a web server using an attribute in the data in the filename
  • Set your image to have a dynamic source
  • In that source, create an Expression and configure it to use a URL that looks something like: "https://my.domain.com/folder/subfolder/" + {OBJECTID} + ".jpg"

You could also hard-code the source URL right into your dataset as one of the attributes, but that's less flexible.

The issue with this is, Experience Builder is designed for non-developers. For this to work you need to have the facility to place images onto a webserver in a known location, which isn't necessarily possible.

You might be able to use AGOL hosted images as sources to get around this - though I've not tried, it should work.

0 Kudos
ShengdiZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GarthHoxsie-Quinn ,

If you use bookmarks, you can draw graphics on each bookmark, but I don't think that's a good idea for complex polygons.

ShengdiZhang_2-1723686408463.png

If you use a list, you can add a sort field in the Data Panel - Layer Settings to sort the list alphabetically:

ShengdiZhang_0-1723686300490.png

Regards,

Shengdi

0 Kudos
GarthHoxsie-Quinn
Occasional Contributor

Shengdi,

You are a life saver! I did not realize you could draw a polygon in the bookmark. You are right thought, this would be too complicated. That being said, you can drop an icon in the bookmark to denote the area you are looking at.

Thank you!

0 Kudos