Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot figure out how to get Timeline Widget to work in Experience builder

Jump to solution
08-23-2023 10:02 AM
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying for the first time to get a Timeline Widget to work in an Experience Builder project. It's not working, and I feel I must be missing something elementary. 

The data is the Anti-Shipping Activity Messages (Piracy) data published by ESRI's John Nelson: https://services.arcgis.com/nGt4QxSblgDfeJn9/arcgis/rest/services/NGA_ASAM/FeatureServer

It is a feature service published by an ESRI employee: I'm pretty sure the data integrity is good. Basically it's hundreds of points representing occurrences of piracy around the world's oceans over several decades. Each point has a day/month/year associated with it. I have enabled time on on the feature.

I just want to be able to move the Timeline slider and see the points change across the globe as I scroll through the years. In Experience Builder I am able to successfully select the data, configure the time, etc. But regardless of how I change the settings, when I preview the Experience and move the Timeline slider, nothing happens. 

I feel I am missing something elementary here, but as the options for configuring the Timeline and its data are pretty simple, I can't imagine what it is I'm missing. Again, as I said, this is my first time working with the Timeline Widget.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@BronwenHughes 

In ExB, the active time range is indicated above the slider, so it can be easily spotted (visually associated with the same-color dot of the slider); if you open the pop-up here, you will see the static entire time extent, which some may find unnecessary to display all the time, so we place it here:

TonghuiMing_1-1710210555603.png

The handle is shown on hover:

TonghuiMing_2-1710210687983.png

In addition, you can also change the style/appearance to build a different style of the slider

TonghuiMing_3-1710210880609.png

As for the labeling, we provide the ability to zoom in and out to check different levels of time accuracy. Thus, you can see different units displayed depending on the UI and the zoom levels.

Also, we do have some requests about enhancing it, like omitting the time, optimizing the label display, etc. We will continue to take a look at those. Thanks for bringing this up.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @ScottDBjelland 

Took a look at the second provided service (cannot access the first one), and it seems like the service is not temporal - it might not have the time extent configured in the layer definition when published.

Here is an example of a valid time-aware service, you'll notice it has the "Time Info" with Time Extent and all other properties:

TonghuiMing_0-1692842542517.png

However, I cannot find any time info in the provided service:

https://services.arcgis.com/nGt4QxSblgDfeJn9/ArcGIS/rest/services/NGA_ASAM/FeatureServer/0

I am curious how you've managed to configure the time successfully.

On the other hand, what kind of changes are you expected to see with the Timeline changes - is it in a Map widget, a List, or a Table? If it's a map, then you might need to save the feature service as a web map and then use the same data source between Timeline and whatever the other one is. A sample app might be more helpful to identify the issue.

0 Kudos
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Hi @TonghuiMing,

I appreciate your response, and will try saving the feature service as a web map, as you say. Perhaps this is the way I should have approached the project in the first place. As I mentioned, I have just started experimenting with Experience Builder. 

I would really like to find some good, thorough tutorials on how to use the nuances of the app, such as how exactly to configure the Timeline Widget (best practices, etc.) I really have not found much in the way of instructions. Can you recommend the best guides available for really digging into Experience Builder?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
BronwenHughes
New Contributor III

I am also struggling with the timeline widget. I have created a web map with a feature service that shows the extent of our local flying fox camp every three months. Data capture began in 2019 and is ongoing. 

The feature service has 2 sub-layers: quadrats (points) and camp extents (polygons): 

BronwenHughes_3-1709702415924.png

...however, I have only added the polygon layer to the web map:  

BronwenHughes_4-1709702456439.png

I have time-enabled the feature service and connected it to the timeline widget.

I have been fiddling around with the Action tab of the Experience Builder Map window, however, I am unsure what I am doing. Is this the way to link the timeline widget of camp extents to the camp extents in the map window? There doesn't seem to be any options under the Data action tab:

BronwenHughes_0-1709701865142.png

BronwenHughes_2-1709702147248.png

Any help is appreciated as I can't find any detailed instructions online and I feel like I am going around in circles

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@BronwenHughes Once you connect the data to the Timeline widget, the rest of the time-related configurations should be done inside the Timeline widget:

TonghuiMing_0-1709703896232.png

I am a bit unclear about the workflow you want to achieve inside the map.

If you want the timeline widget to work with the map widget, add the layer as a web map and use the web map as your timeline widget's data source, as well as connecting it to the map widget.

0 Kudos
BronwenHughes
New Contributor III

Thank you @TonghuiMing 

I mistakenly used the camp extent layer rather than the web map as the timeline widget's data source.  Is there any way to edit the appearance of the timeline widget in Exp Builder?  It looks a lot cleaner in the Map Viewer:   

BronwenHughes_0-1710200895305.png

vs

BronwenHughes_1-1710201233563.png

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@BronwenHughes There are appearance choices available to customize your widget's look. When you said "cleaner" - what were you referring to? The labeling, or the UI (icon/button sizes), or something else?

0 Kudos
BronwenHughes
New Contributor III

@TonghuiMing I'm referring to the entire appearance of the timeline bar in Map Viewer - particularly that it isn't cluttered with times, and that it shows month tics without month numbers. It is much easier to read than the timeline widget in Exp Builder

BronwenHughes_0-1710209690588.png

0 Kudos