Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot figure out how to get Timeline Widget to work in Experience builder

Jump to solution
08-23-2023 10:02 AM
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Hello, I am trying for the first time to get a Timeline Widget to work in an Experience Builder project. It's not working, and I feel I must be missing something elementary. 

The data is the Anti-Shipping Activity Messages (Piracy) data published by ESRI's John Nelson: https://services.arcgis.com/nGt4QxSblgDfeJn9/arcgis/rest/services/NGA_ASAM/FeatureServer

It is a feature service published by an ESRI employee: I'm pretty sure the data integrity is good. Basically it's hundreds of points representing occurrences of piracy around the world's oceans over several decades. Each point has a day/month/year associated with it. I have enabled time on on the feature.

I just want to be able to move the Timeline slider and see the points change across the globe as I scroll through the years. In Experience Builder I am able to successfully select the data, configure the time, etc. But regardless of how I change the settings, when I preview the Experience and move the Timeline slider, nothing happens. 

I feel I am missing something elementary here, but as the options for configuring the Timeline and its data are pretty simple, I can't imagine what it is I'm missing. Again, as I said, this is my first time working with the Timeline Widget.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (3)
12 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@BronwenHughes 

In ExB, the active time range is indicated above the slider, so it can be easily spotted (visually associated with the same-color dot of the slider); if you open the pop-up here, you will see the static entire time extent, which some may find unnecessary to display all the time, so we place it here:

TonghuiMing_1-1710210555603.png

The handle is shown on hover:

TonghuiMing_2-1710210687983.png

In addition, you can also change the style/appearance to build a different style of the slider

TonghuiMing_3-1710210880609.png

As for the labeling, we provide the ability to zoom in and out to check different levels of time accuracy. Thus, you can see different units displayed depending on the UI and the zoom levels.

Also, we do have some requests about enhancing it, like omitting the time, optimizing the label display, etc. We will continue to take a look at those. Thanks for bringing this up.

0 Kudos
ScottDBjelland
New Contributor II

Thank you! Appreciate this detailed response..

BronwenHughes
New Contributor III

@TonghuiMing  thanks for the response and your help! I'm aware of all those features you pointed out, however,  having the time in the active time range above the slider makes it harder to read the dates - the way it is displayed in the Map Viewer is much easier to comprehend:

BronwenHughes_1-1710283059550.png

It would be good to have the ability to edit the text style of the Exp Builder Timeline widget slider, much like one can edit the text style of a scalebar in Pro  - eg increase the font size of the year labels, remove time  etc  I'll add this as a suggestion in the ArcGIS ideas page