Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't Edit Experience after June 2024 Update

Jump to solution
06-27-2024 10:43 AM
MattCashen
New Contributor III

After seeing that the new update was available I went into my experience to add the measurement widget as that was one I had been waiting for.  I added the widget, saved my experience and then went to preview it.  A white screen came up.  At first I thought it was just a temporary issue with my network but after reloading several times and still getting a white screen I decided to try a different browser.  When I went to edit my experience in the new browser I now am getting a white screen in the edit page.  It won't let me add any widgets or do anything within the edit page for this experience.  I've attached an image to illustrate.  I've already opened a support ticket with ESRI and while they weren't able to give me any help on their initial call they did imply that this issue has happened to others.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  I've worked on this experience for months so if I were to lose it all and have to rebuild that would be incredibly frustrating.

1 Solution
13 Replies
DanMakridakis
Occasional Contributor

I completely lost my entire app after re-publishing. After closing and re-opening the editor for that app, it now comes up completely blank. Everything in the app is gone.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/exb-app-completely-wiped-after-jun...

Joshua-Young
Regular Contributor

Three things come to mind:

1. Any time Esri updates ArcGIS Online (AGO) I would recommend clearing your browser cache. Sometimes changes to AGO make some cached files no longer compatible with the website and you get odd behavior. 
  2. You could try saving a copy of the experience and see if the copy also has the issue.
  3. This option could be risky, but you could try using the ArcGIS Online Assistant to remove the Measure Widget you added by editing the experience's JSON. Before changing anything, I would highly recommend copying the existing JSON as is and save the JSON to a file on your computer. That way if removing the widget does not fix the issue you can put back the original JSON for Esri Tech Support to troubleshoot against.

Those steps have help me resolve issues with ArcGIS Enterprise content in the past, I would assume they would work for ArcGIS Online as well. I do wish Esri would provide a way to download a copy of items that would allow users to have a backup before making changes to critical items. Then if something goes wrong you just upload the item package as a new item or, even better, have a way to overwrite the original item. ArcGIS Online really needs some built-in backup functionality across the whole platform to be honest.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
DanMakridakis
Occasional Contributor

1. Didn't fix it.

2. Didn't fix it. Was also able to replicate the issue by duplicating another working apps, made changes, and then saved. They were all blank after re-opening them.

3.  ArcGIS Online Assistant doesn't work for ExB. ESRI has only exposed the JSON for the published version and not the version that the editor see's. Therefore, even if this did resolve something, that app is no longer editable. Also, when you duplicate an existing app, it duplicates the edit version. If the edit version is blank and the published version is not, there's no way to get the published version back into the editor.

Appreciate the thoughts though and the time you took to respond.

0 Kudos
SveinungBertnesRåheim
Occasional Contributor

My experience is that the "new" ArcGIS assistant works better on newer AGO-apps and maps than ArcGIS online assistant.
https://assistant.esri-ps.com/

0 Kudos
MattCashen
New Contributor III

Yes those steps didn't help me either as clearing the cache is usually one of my first troubleshooting steps I take with AGO issues.  Luckily I hadn't yet published mine with the changes I made.  So my published version still works.  I'm using that to rebuild the app because I'm assuming the worst that I won't get my old one back.  It's still a major headache as I'm still having to remember specific settings I had set for various elements of my experience.  This makes me incredibly untrusting of ExB going forward as I'm building experiences to put out to the public.  And if something like this happens with an experience that is widely used that is going to be very problematic.  

0 Kudos
DanMakridakis
Occasional Contributor

Lucky you! I encountered the issue on an app that I spent weeks developing and was completely finished.

0 Kudos
HCGIS_asolberg
New Contributor

Same thing happened to me here.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried looking at AGOL Assistant to see if you can remove the code from the Measurement widget you just added and see if that fixes the Experience?

0 Kudos
MattCashen
New Contributor III

I have not yet tried that as I was completely unaware of AGOL Assistant before today.  So I at least got that new information out of this mess.  Even still my published version is not broken.  I never published my experience after adding the measurement widget I only saved it and tried to preview.  I can still access my published experience just fine which has at least helped me rebuild it as new.  Not sure the JSON would help me anyway as that is not something I am comfortable with editing.    

0 Kudos