Action one chart to another

Jump to solution
a month ago
Labels (1)
maya_fromstein
New Contributor III

Hi, I saw a tutorial for Dashboard showing how you can click on a wheel of one pie chart to filter data in another (pie) chart. I am having trouble figuring out how to do that in experience builder. I was going to do this in dashboard instead, but I am interested in the query functionality in experience builder (that I can't figure out in dashboard).

For example, I am building an experience builder to spatially visualize our client base. I'd like to be able to:

1.  query for a specific geographic location (eg., Canada)

maya_fromstein_0-1713314404614.png
  2. from that query, bring up a:
  • bar chart of revenue x regions (eg., provinces)
  • pie chart of counts for different types of clients

maya_fromstein_3-1713314572526.png

maya_fromstein_2-1713314536916.png

3. Ideally, then I could click on a slice of the pie chart and it would then filter the bar chart to show only revenue for that specific type of client in those geographic regions (or vice versa)

maya_fromstein_4-1713314612452.png

So far the first two steps are working well!
But I am unable to action the pie chart to the bar chart or vice versa to complete the last step as I don't want to action a particular map, and when I try to use the framework to set the trigger/action data appropriately, I get stuck since they now don't have common fields (that work, it doesn't work when I use OBJECTID for both). 

maya_fromstein_5-1713314938703.png 

maya_fromstein_6-1713314969622.png

Is this possible or are there any workarounds ? And/or is there a query functionality in dashboard that I haven't figured out? Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WeiYing1
Esri Contributor

@maya_fromstein , to filter the bar chart rendering by pie chart selecting, you can do this.
1. Select the trigger data as "chart output of pie", action data as the "input data of bart chart".
2. At condition, please do not use "OBJECTID", because it is just id of each dataset, but it is not the same in trigger and action data, although with the same name. I know it is confusing but the "OBJECTID"s you were using are not the same attributes, so it won't work. You should use "Org_Type" as the connected filter now. 

Take my data as example to show you the config. 
Bar: population of each state
Pie: count of area class (city, town or village etc.)
Note that the action data is using the input of bar chart, not the output of bar chart

WeiYing1_0-1714099386888.jpeg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WeiYing1
Esri Contributor

@maya_fromstein , to filter the bar chart rendering by pie chart selecting, you can do this.
1. Select the trigger data as "chart output of pie", action data as the "input data of bart chart".
2. At condition, please do not use "OBJECTID", because it is just id of each dataset, but it is not the same in trigger and action data, although with the same name. I know it is confusing but the "OBJECTID"s you were using are not the same attributes, so it won't work. You should use "Org_Type" as the connected filter now. 

Take my data as example to show you the config. 
Bar: population of each state
Pie: count of area class (city, town or village etc.)
Note that the action data is using the input of bar chart, not the output of bar chart

WeiYing1_0-1714099386888.jpeg

0 Kudos
maya_fromstein
New Contributor III

Thank you! 

0 Kudos