URL Parameters for Experience Builder

07-27-2020 08:43 AM
KevinMcMaster2
New Contributor III

Would be great if URL Parameters were supported in Experience Builder, similar to what is supported by ArcGIS Dashboards - see URL parameters—ArcGIS Dashboards | Documentation specifically the "Feature parameters" which reads: "Feature parameters are used to pass one or more feature IDs to a dashboard. They can be used to filter the dashboard's elements, or they can be used to apply location actions—Zoom, Pan, Show pop-up, Follow Feature, and Flash—to the dashboard's maps."

24 Comments
PaulMorris2

For Experience Builder, we are looking for the same URL parameters that are supported in ArcGIS Dashboard as well. Additionally, in Experience builder and ArcGIS Dashboard, we need geocode / Address Search URL parameters that are similar to the ones available in WAB. Many Web Designers use URL Parameters such as these on company web pages to link to items on a company/offices map. These URL parameters would allow for Esri apps with more powerful filtering, visualization, and analysis functionality to be used instead of other engines that have the basic URL parameter requirements but not the desired visualization and analysis functions.

Douglas_Sauer

+1 on this idea...

Inability to currently pass URL parameters in Exp. reason enough NOT to move away from WAB (for some) I'm sure.

wayfaringrob

So, there does seem to be some extremely limited support for URL parameters if you'd like a specific feature in a map to be selected. It'll require some decoding on your part to figure out what your maps, layers, and features are all coded as, but I first noticed this when refreshing the page with a feature selected - it stays selected.

The URL tags are something like /?data_id=dataSource_[#]-[layer id]-layer-[some kind of feature id] where bracketed items correspond to your map's items.

MicahWilliamson

@wayfaringrob  I tried to decode the URL you are referring to. It seems to pull in the Object ID and select from there. I would have to have my object IDs called out in the linking application. (In my case SmartSheets) ....But that doesn't matter anyway because after a little bit of testing, it doesn't work.  In fact the search result doesn't even select the search result. 

So disappointing. I want so much to be progressive and push the product forward, but these things are a non-starter. 

wayfaringrob

@MicahWilliamsonYeah. EB feels like it's in beta, as do a lot of newer Esri products. I guess that's how it is now.

MicahWilliamson

Yeah. 'Release Ready' Users are the Beta Testers. It's a Hard Pass on Pro 3.0 and Enterprise 11 for a while... long while.

HervéChristol

Same conundrum in France Clermont-Ferrand. An update please !

MarkEastwood

@Jianxia - Any update on when the URL parameters for Experience Builder will include the ability to "open the map zoomed to a specific extent (via extent, center, level parameters)" as @StefanFreelan has asked previously? 

Thomas1

It is not announced before the november update (https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-blog/arcgis-experience-builder-2023-roadmap/... ). So disappointing.

BrianBaldwin

Not sure if this will work for others - but the one thing that I just setup using the 'pages' functionality is a 'Zoom To' URL parameter hack - 

Within one app - I created a page set at the default zoom, and then a copy set at a higher level zoom scale.

Then - using the 'pages' URL parameter - I can create a URL that has a feature get selected and zoom to a set extent with all of my apps settings.

This URL is set to my 'Zoom' page - and then zooms into a specific feature: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/29285b535d614faaa60b599fc111d775/page/Zoom?data_id=3b8b7d77... 

This URL just loads the standard app page: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/29285b535d614faaa60b599fc111d775/page/Full