Select to view content in your preferred language

Universal deselect/unselect button for Map widget

10-30-2023 03:53 PM
Labels (2)
NBC
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

This request for the AGOL version of ExB is pretty basic, my apologies in advance if someone has posted a similar idea in the past. I have searched through and cannot find an ideas request that covers it though.

Workflow

When selecting an object in a map widget, in many cases I would subsequently like to deselect that object. By deselect I mean universally deselect, so all widget and framework actions/triggers would also be deselected.

Implementation

I would like there to be a tool which I can activate in the map widget via the config panel, appearing as a small button in the map widget which will serve this purpose and no other purpose.

How will this help?

Currently users are having to click 'outside' an object to deselect.  When viewing polygon layers clicking outside to deselect is often not possible.  As we will build more complex data-centric apps it becomes easier for non-technical app users to get confused.  The addition of a universal deselect option will help to reduce that confusion. 

Thanks

Andrew

2 Comments
gis_KIWI4

Hi @NBC ,

Unless I am mistaken, I believe this already exists? 
On the Map Widget settings - Enable the "select" tool. 

gis_KIWI4_0-1698713406464.png

NBC
by

Thanks GIS_Kiwi4, I had noticed the select tool before but have so far avoided it.

Its the 'serve this purpose and no other purpose' part of my post that I maybe should emphasize.

In order for that select tool to function for our users a number of things need to happen:

1. We need to tell them where it is

2. We need to tell them how to use it

3. They would need to find it

4. They would need to figure out how to use it

In my experience I have found that GIS users will happily explore an application and patiently find whatever tool they need  - almost nobody else will though!