Select to view content in your preferred language

Slider Filter Widget: Improved Version of Timeline Widget

09-16-2024 01:54 PM
Labels (1)
SarahG1
Emerging Contributor

It would be great to have a slider widget in Experience Builder that operates like the timeline widget but allows for filtering/visualization based on other field types besides time and date.

The widget could include: 

- Filtering that works with categorical and numerical data

- Filtering that works on the framework level and does not just filter layers visually

- Options for the user to customize increment labels

- The option to orient the slider vertically or horizontally

- The option to set a default position for the slider

Ideally, it would also work with actions and allow for filtering with SQL expressions. 

This idea came from working with Indoors in Experience Builder. Because of current limitations with the floor filter widget, we made our own floor filtering widget that filters the floors not just on a visual level. This way, when we place points using the editor widget, the level ID of the points can be automatically calculated using configurations in forms. It made sense intuitively to have a vertical slider which filters the floors. In an attempt to make this slider, I assigned a date to each floor and then connected the data to the timeline widget. Then I used text boxes and dividers to cover up the dates and add my own labels. It appears that a user can rotate the entire timeline slider 90 degrees, but the slider functionality still only works in the horizonal direction. Also, it appears the timeline widget does not filter the map in a way to work with our floor calculation configurations in forms. The end result is pictured below. A slider widget would eliminate the need for all these additional steps in creating a simple slider and add much more functionality. 

SarahG1_0-1726517658650.png

The widget would let users make a slider that looked more like this with floors being an example of ordinal data that could be used:

SarahG1_1-1726519165609.png

There could be many use cases for a slider widget outside of Indoors/this specific workaround. I can also see this slider functionality possibly being integrated into the existing filter widget and floor filter widget.