Select to view content in your preferred language

export elevation profile line to my content with info

08-03-2023 12:56 AM
Labels (1)
חנניהוייסלר
New Contributor II

It would be helpful in arcgis online either as a widget in Experience builder/instant apps OR this ability in Map viewer:

1.  the ability to export the line from the elevation profile to my content with the elevation data connected to it.

2. the ability to upload/add a line feature and get an elevation profile for the line. 

10 Comments
AlixVezina
Status changed to: Under Consideration

AlixVezina

@חנניהוייסלר Thank you for creating this idea.

Do you have a specific use case or workflow example on how you would like to use this functionality? Any further details you can provide will help us evaluate the requirements and how this could be implemented.

חנניהוייסלר

@AlixVezina thanks for requesting. Sure, I work for an organization that manages forests in our country. Our landscape architects plan a lot of paths, as part of their planning they need to understand the elevation profile of the path that they are planning.

For #1 above: The L.Archs might want our GIS analysts to run different geoprocessing tools on the path in PRO and see the elevation points with the data of a different feature. For example, intersect tool or buffer (as examples)

For #2 above: They can receive features from planners as a proposed path. We need to check the elevation profile of these paths, being able to do that in experience builder or instant apps would be very helpful.

thank you

AlixVezina

Thank you for the details @חנניהוייסלר !

I believe we might be able to provide #2 in the near future - it would work in collaboration with the Add Data widget in Experience Builder.

For #1, we currently support exporting the profile results as a CSV, but it does not include the geometry. We will evaluate if there's any way we could support what you are requesting.

AdamEllison_GA

Hi @AlixVezina

We are using Experience Builder to build an app using 1" DEM and have been able to add a KML, but was surprised when I couldn't select the route to view the elevation profile. We have a use case where we would like to encourage users to add their route data to the app and be able to view the profile as suggested by @חנניהוייסלר. It is encouraging to hear that this idea is being considered, but is there a current time frame for 'in the near future'? Having to pre-load the data into the application for it to be selected doesn't satisfy a user requirement to add their own data and get the elevation profile.

Thank you for having this enhancement under consideration.

Cheers!

AlixVezina

@AdamEllison_GA, for support of layers added with the Add Data widget, we are going to target implementing this in the first 2024 release (usually around March).

AlixVezina

I just wanted to provide an update regarding this request. Right now, we need to make important library updates to the widget for the upcoming February 2024 release.

This means this enhancement will be considered for the June 2024 release.

חנניהוייסלר

@AlixVezina must've missed this. thanks for the update!

AlixVezina

WIth the upcoming June update, you'll be able to export the profile line to your Content with the attached profile statistics. This will create a feature collection item that you can then publish as a hosted feature layer.

AlixVezina_0-1716926651778.png

The elevation and distance values along the line can still be exported separately as CSV using the Export functionality in the Elevation Profile widget.

AlixVezina_1-1716926792495.png

For the ability to upload/add a line feature and get an elevation profile for the line, we're looking into supporting this in the following update before the end of this year.

חנניהוייסלר

wow, amazing!

thank you very much!

your updates are very appreciated