Select to view content in your preferred language

ExB Analysis Widget, Find Closest - allow a user provided / ad-hoc location option.

11-20-2023 10:25 AM
Labels (2)
FEMAUrbanSearchandRescue
New Contributor II

Real-world Problem: Decision makers want to find the nearest teams to deploy to an incident location. 

Technical Problem:
We need an easy to use tool that allows the end-user to quickly add a point to the map and run the analysis. We are trying to avoid building a custom geoprocessing tool or front end. The current Analysis Widget in Experience Builder is a great tool. However, it requires that the end user use an existing layer for the 'Input Layer'. That input layer therefore has to be edited correctly which requires the use of the Edit widget or similar. A common mistake will be having multiple points on the map when the end user just wants to use one.

Audience: Non-GIS professionals who are used to finding what they need in 3 clicks or less. 

Solution:   Ideally the end user would have an option to simply "click on the map" to provide an input location in addition to a layer choice. This would reduce the need for layer / data management that the end user may not be familiar with. 

FEMAUrbanSearchandRescue_0-1700504561907.png

p.s. I recognize that the Experience Builder Team may simply be using the ArcGIS Online web map viewer components, but I think this feedback applies to both. @ArcGISOnline  @Jianxia @PaulDoherty  @PaulDoherty3 

1 Comment
TimF
by

@FEMAUrbanSearchandRescue - have you tried the 'Near Me' widget in Experience Builder. I use it in ArcGIS Online and it does pretty much what you describe - assuming your target layer is already available on the map. Users just activate the sketch tools in the widget and click on the map - a buffer is generated to a specified radius - and intersecting results are returned. One option is to only return the closest feature.

TimF_0-1700562596364.png

TimF_3-1700562938590.png

TimF_1-1700562700370.png