Allow More Flexibility on Feature Table Column Sizing Scheme

08-07-2022 08:42 AM
Labels (1)
KariHicks_BentEarSolutions
New Contributor II

The Feature Table widget in Experience Builder is a useful one for displaying tabular data on desktops and mobile devices. However, one common use case we run into is displaying the tables on video walls in Emergency Preparedness Centers, etc. Right now, table columns widths appear to be hard-coded somewhere either in the main css or in the JS API itself. The user cannot select an option to have the columns wrap to the text, or even hard-code their own column widths. 

I am requesting a change to the Feature Table widget that would either:

• Improve the existing logic used to determine column widths that is responsive to cell content/column name
  • Allow the users the option to select a column sizing scheme (fixed, wrap, overflow, etc).
  • Expose this more clearly in the widget tsx/style.ts code so that it can at least be changed in a custom widget

I will say, I am so thankful that we have the Feature Table widget, given that displaying data in a tabular format in ESRI's web mapping environment wasn't possible for a long time. But there might be more use cases out there for improved tabular data visualization that ESRI might realize.

1 Comment
KariHicks_BentEarSolutions

Update:

I figured out the reason why this cannot be changed inside of Experience Builder. The column width has been hard-coded in the Javascript API Column class. I have attached a screenshot. In order to get around this in developer edition, the Column JS code itself must be downloaded and changed. Commenting out "a.width = 200;" within the first function and setting "a.autoWidth = !0;" should make the columns auto-resize based on the contents in the column.

KariHicks_BentEarSolutions_0-1659988275825.png