Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Split/Merge/Circle/Copy in Edit Widget

02-23-2022 10:46 AM
Labels (1)
Marokapara
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

We'd really like to see some of the Smart Editor widget and Edit widget from WebApp Builder brought into Experience Builder. We're working with farmers to enable them to map their current farm layouts and then plan what it could look like over the next 30 years.

It's cumbersome to have to redraw/adjust the layout multiple times. If we could get them to copy what's already been made and then split or merge polygons from there, that would save a lot of time for them and make our product more appealing to use, especially for these users who are not GIS people. These features are usable in WAB, but they don't have the conditional visibility at the level we need that ExB has.

In addition, the ability to draw a circle out right via the Edit Widget in ExB would be a game changer for them as their are lots of pivots on farms!

This takes 8 clicks in ExB to draw, and it still isn't exactly what we want.

Marokapara_0-1645641254846.png

In WAB's Edit widget, this takes only 1 click and it's perfect (geometry wise)! Attribute conditional visibility is missing though.

Please consider adding in these improvements. It would definitely up the usability of the Edit widget in Experience Builder! If we could hide feature to feature and geometry guides from the user, but have it turned on from the back end, that would be great too.

24 Comments
JessicaGough

Adding a vote for this request - we need at least all current editing functionality of WAB to be available in EB, including:

Copy-paste

Select / add to selection / remove from selection / clear selection

An efficient attribute editor

Cut

Union/merge

Reshape

Delete

Undo/Redo

Batch attribute

Edit related tables

Add attachments

Editing that respects requirements of smart forms (e.g. un-editable fields, required fields)

AbiDhakal

@JessicaGough  I agree! We need to have a minimum of all of those widgets and capabilities that is already available in WAB in EB. The clients also need to be able to filter layers and attributes for mapping, displaying and printing purposes. I did a lot of dabbling in EB and what I found out is EB has the widgets, but they are only namesake, and not do anything close to what the same widgets do in WAB.

The minimum requirement for us to move to EB and a minimum standard for Esri before they cut out WAB is to have EB as capable as WAB on the widgets. All the widgets in WAB should be availabe in EB beyond namesake.

Thank you,
Abi

AlixVezina

While the Web AppBuilder Smart Editor widget "as-is" will not be migrated to Experience Builder, the functionality you are requesting will be provided over time through the new Editor widget, and possibly some more related tools. Multiple teams at Esri are collaborating right now and are fully dedicated to making this possible. We apologize that this is taking some time.

DominicRoberge2

@AlixVezina  (nothing personal here) but here's the thing, if ESRI had a true competitor, you guys would have never released a product without matching all functionalities from the previous version. Now, ESRI has the mindset of releasing products (ArcGIS Pro, AGS Online, mobile apps, etc.) with less functionalities than previous versions and tells us the clients/users to not worried, ESRI will add functionalities over time without a definite time line.

I truly wished there was an alternative to ESRI out there... because the quality of ESRI's products has declined over the past few years and is a real issue for us (client/user) trying to help our customers (internal/external).

That's just my 2 cents.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

I would love the ability to split. I have just moved my Cemetery to completely online work - whenever a plot needs to be split I have to do it rather than them being able to do it on the spot while they are inputting data. 

DominicRoberge2

In ArcGIS Earth 2.1, you have more editing capabilities than Experience Builder. If you have a polygon layer , you can create a polygon, create a buffer, square, etc... 

DominicRoberge2_0-1704397294382.png

if you have a line, you can do Direction-Distance...

DominicRoberge2_1-1704397350445.png

Why can't we have these functions (and more) in the Map Viewer and EB?

JenFrazer_USFS_NR-GISS-IRIN

Work for the US Forest Service, this would greatly help us!

If VertiGIS has this ability, I don't understand why Experience doesn't. 

ClayDonaldsonSWCA

Agreed - this feature is long overdue. The fact that we have to vote for ideas that were already implemented in WAB is disappointing.

AlixVezina

Hi there,

Check out the new Web Editor application: ArcGIS Web Editor – Your Data Maintenance New Best Friend (esri.com)

You'll find tools that allow you to copy and paste feature, manage selections, cut/split features, merge and reshape features, batch delete, edit related features, and much more!

Pål_Herman_Sund

Thanks @AlixVezina Some of our users has started with the "web editor", but I find the comments on the blog interesting. I cite from the first blog comment (Anthony Jones):

".::you make the point that “The name “Web Editor” says it all – data editing is the focus, it’s not a secondary activity.” so is there any reason this is not available for those with a Contributor or Mobile Worker licence? The app looks great but it’s a bit odd that it has been introduced at a point when a Creator now comes with access to ArcGIS Pro so it seems like this would be perfect for those that don’t have access to the desktop software..."

So make the web editor available for other roles (like Mobile Worker) or implement the functionality in Experience Builder Edit Widget seems like reasonable 🙂