Why Does Using a UNC Path Toss a Warning?

06-28-2016 07:52 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

10.3.1 ArcGIS Server.

When I analyze a map service prior to publishing it, the analysis tosses a warning about using UNC paths.  Why is that?  Is there a more appropriate way to map to data stored on a network san?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
13 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The use of network protocols is what causes the significant performance dropoff.  I don't know why, but the difference is significant, and easily reproducible. I used 10k-1m row tables in my benchmarks, and the cost was always proportional with respect to row count (below 10k rows the millisecond timer started to have resolution issues on Windows platforms).

If the disk is "local" (seen by the operating system, as a non-networked "letter drive"), you will get better performance than by accessing a networked device, either as a letter drive or via a UNC path. 

- V

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Interesting information, thanks for sharing.

Although not directly related, this reminds me of a discussion I had with some Microsoft folks quite a few years back now, around the transition from Server 2003 to Server 2008.  The issue was a fairly significant performance degradation when a UNC path pointed to a file share on a local machine compared to a UNC path on a remote machine and especially when compared to I/O on the local file system(s).  It seemed the Windows kernel or network redirectors were not designed, at that time, to bypass or short-circuit the network stack when a network path pointed to a local file system.  This was in contrast to  many Unix or Linux systems that would/could optimize that path through the system stack.  This impacted our ArcGIS for Server deployments because the common practice in my organization back then was UNC paths for all data, local or otherwise.  It would be fun to revisit that topic and do some benchmarking today, hopefully that problem is in the past, hopefully.

Of course local disk I/O is faster than network I/O, especially with SSDs coming on strong, but gigabit Ethernet is respectable.  I guess the 50% performance penalty surprises me, a bit.  Have you tested on 10GbE networks?

MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Vince,

Does this mean that you could assign an organization wide drive letter designation to a single share and it will perform faster than if we use the UNC for that share?

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

No, all networked drives are equally slow (which is why I specified "non-networked 'letter drive'")

- V