Why Does Arc Enterprise Builder 10.7 get stuck on progress bar ?

06-06-2019 08:09 AM
JeffLong
New Contributor

Im following the ESRI guide to running Arc Enterprise Builder to setup a base deployment for all the enterprise components(server, portal, web adapter, data store). However, When I run the builder everything works fine until it starts installing portal and then it get stuck on the progress bar about 1/4 of the way through the installation process. I let it continue running over night 12+hours and still it wont budge so I had to terminate the process in task manager. Strangely I see a directory for ArcGISportal full of application components,meta files and file dependencies but have no idea if it worked correctly. ArcServer is missing as well as the web adapter and Data Store. There are no error messages indicated in the installation process once it gets stuck. I've gone over the requirements checklist a dozen times to make sure we have all required ports open and memory/storage. At this point im totally lost as to why this seemingly routine installation wont finish correctly. Please Help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Did you just try it this one time and it got stuck or have you tried this a few times? I've had similar behavior happen to me before and I decided to wipe out all the Enterprise folders in Program Files and under my user profile and just run it again. Each time, it worked for me the second time.

But yes, taking overnight is way too long in my experience. It seems to complete in an hour or so on my end (depending on environmental factors on that day).

Jonathan

0 Kudos
WhitneyLoy
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan-

Do you mind expanding on the files you deleted to get the installer to run? I am running into similar issues with my installation.

Thanks,

Whit

0 Kudos

Hi Whit,

Sure. When you use Enterprise Builder to setup ArcGIS Enterprise and it fails or you uninstall it for some reason, there are going to be some folders left behind. For example, we don't delete the content directory if you uninstall.

If you are installing new and it fails and you'd like to just start over, then check these locations out and delete these folders:

• C:\arcgis
    • arcgisdatastore
    • arcgisserver
    • arcgisportal
  • C:\
    • arcgisserver

Be careful though since there could be other items in the first location you don't want to delete. For example, I have ArcTutor data installed on my machine and that also lives in C:\arcgis. If I just deleted that folder, I'd also wipe that out.

After doing this, you can go through the install process again. If you get to the configuration part of the install process and it tries to do an upgrade rather than a fresh install, then something was left behind.

Hope that helps!

Jonathan

Whit,

I left out one other place. In C:\Program Files\ArcGIS, you would need to remove any Server, Portal or Data Store folders there as well.

WhitneyLoy
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan-

Thanks for the information, it was extremely helpful.

-Whit

0 Kudos
MetralAlexis
Occasional Contributor

One more point for futur visitors of that thread. ArcGIS Enterprise Builder could take a long time to do the installation. While the progress bar doesn't move, it's possible to see the actions in the the logs and it took 3h30 for our installation before the configuration Wizard.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD

I had a question to those who say the installation is very slow and the logs show progress.  How often do the logs show progress?  I feel like the installer is completely dead.  No CPU usage on any of the installer applications.  No entries in the Portal installation log for 30 minutes.  Is that normal?

0 Kudos