Where is my Service Editor window?

Jump to solution
10-19-2015 02:58 AM
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Hi, When using ArcMap Advanced 10.1 SP1 I like to share my map by overwriting an existing ArcGIS Server service. The following steps I've taken: 1. File > Share As > Service... 2. Window [Share as a Service] opened and select 'Overwrite an existing service' 3. Then in the next window select the service to be overwritten 4. Select Continue.... .....but then nothing happens. The Service Editor window is not opening. But I can proceed with ArcGIS... When selecting the service in ArcCatalog, I can actually open the Service Editor window and adjust the properties if I want to.... Somebody knows what's going on?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

I got my Windows profile reinstalled by my IT department.

Everything is working fine again.

Thank you Richardson Aluvilayil​ and Rebecca Strauch, GISP​ for your attention and time!

Best,

Harmen

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It's been a while since I used 10.1, but looking in the help ArcGIS Help 10.1 it does look like the Editor window should pop-up, as you are thinking.  The only guess I can say, is maybe because you are overwritting, by default maybe the properties need to be the same to start.  I know in respect to a cache, this would make sense, although the cache would need to be updated.

0 Kudos
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Thank you Rebecca for your reply.

Please can you explain what cache you mean?

Harmen

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I mention the cache because IF you have a cache already for the service you are replacing, it will not automatically update it.  If it is a large cache, and/or the entire area needs to be recached, I find that creating a new cache first, with a new service....then using operating system rename/move, etc. is faster and less disruptive if the "current" service is active. 

If the service is dynamic, that is not an issue and if you are just updating the data, it should automatically reflect that data (although a restart/refresh of the service might be necessary. I never had much luck with replacing a service if I had other more complex changes. I just figured out a workflow that work better for my situation.

So my comment wasn't an actual solution for you to get the editor window to popup, but more of an editorial.  Other than the possibility of the window being hidden, or resetting the normal.mxt as mentioned already, I was just wondering if it is as-designed? If I get a chance to test myself on a 10.1 machine (if I still have it installed) I'll let you know what I find, but I'm not sure that a have it anymore.

Just to verify...both you Desktop and Server are the same version, correct?

0 Kudos
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Thank you Rebecca for your explanation.

Unfortunately nothing works till now.

Short resume of thins I've tried:

- normal.mxt deleted

- cleared caches

- created new mxd with two layers and tried to create a new service

- collegues do not have this issue, as I didn't have had this issue for two weeks ago

- I have the right admin rights to perform edits on ArcGIS Server services

0 Kudos
RichardsonAluvilayil2
New Contributor III

Hello Harmen,

I have seen situations in which the Service Editor window opens up, but it goes behind the ArcMap window instead of opening up in front of ArcMap. So, just try to minimize the ArcMap window or any other window which is open and check if you can see the small Service Editor window on the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Richardson

HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Thank you Richardson for your reply.

But that's what I've already figured out. I cannot find that screen. Not active whatsoever.

0 Kudos
RichardsonAluvilayil2
New Contributor III

Hello Harmen,

1. Are you facing the problem when overwriting a particular service or any service in ArcGIS Server?

2. What happens when you are publishing a new service, do you see a Service Editor window?

Also, this might be the problem caused due to a corrupt ArcMap template (Normal.mxt). So, to test if this is the case, please try the following:

1. Close all ArcGIS Desktop applications and go to C:\Users\[your_user_profile]\AppData[Hidden_folder]\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcMap\Templates

2. You will find a file called "Normal.mxt"

3. Please rename it to "Normal_old.mxt". Please don't delete it.

4. Open ArcMap and try to overwrite the service again.

If it works, then it means that the old "Normal.mxt" was corrupted and the new one should be good for you, but you will loose all the ArcMap settings which you had set before renaming the "Normal.mxt" file.

Thanks,

Richardson

HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

Thank you Richardson,

that is indeed one of the first actions I've executed. Unfortunately without any succes...

I will also have look at the post from Rebecca.

thanks again,

Harmen

0 Kudos
HarmenKampinga
New Contributor III

I got my Windows profile reinstalled by my IT department.

Everything is working fine again.

Thank you Richardson Aluvilayil​ and Rebecca Strauch, GISP​ for your attention and time!

Best,

Harmen