Select to view content in your preferred language

What is the best method to migrate services to another service instance?

02-17-2015 01:09 PM
GeoffreyWest
Occasional Contributor III

Our production box has too many processes running on it causing our map services to not publish, thus we are moving a few development services to another box.  What is the best way to do this?  Both are running Server 10.2. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
OwenEarley
Regular Contributor

If both servers are running the same version then you should be able to just publish to the new server using the original service definition files. You may need to ensure that any required Data Stores are also configured on the new server.

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest

Shouldn't be an issue with data stores, where are the service definitions

generally found?

0 Kudos
OwenEarley
Regular Contributor

Service definitions are *.sd files that contain the information required to publish a service. You could ask the service authors if they created service definition files.

Also, I haven't used this but there is a tool to import the properties of an existing service. I am not sure if this tool works across different servers.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Also, if caches are involved, I would suggest moving those to the new box too.  Keeping the name and folder structure the same for the move will also help.

0 Kudos
GeoffreyWest

Is there a method to do this with Python?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To move the cache or set up folders and services?

For the cache files, I would just use windows explorer or the command window "xcopy" if you have a why to many.  If you are using the "compact" or "bundled" format for the cache files, it's not all that bad to just drag and drop.  I sometimes prefer dragging a folder at a time (if doing drag-drop) so I can monitor it.  the xcopy command is very reliable too, and you can have it display the files in a "verbose" mode.  i tend to think it's a bit faster than the windows explorer, but it depends on what you are comfortable with.

As for the folders and services, there are probably many ways to automate.  ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  might be a good place to start.  Depending on how many folders you have (<10?), I would probably create those manually then set up a script if needed to do the other.  Do a search in your browser list "arcpy create AGS services 10.2"  to come up with other options.

Again, depending on how many services you have, it may be just as easy to do it manually.....but if you need to do more often, worth checking out python scripts.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

you might want to check out this post from the UC2014 too

ArcGIS for Server Administrative Scripting and Automation session at the 2014 User Conference | ArcG...

which is said to cover

• Publishing and starting services
  • Applying permissions to services
  • Monitoring services and databases
  • Determining popular extents for the creation of caches
  • Dynamically adding machines to your ArcGIS Server site
0 Kudos