Web Adaptor and Multiple Sites

Jump to solution
07-31-2013 12:59 PM
SteveBratt
New Contributor III
Hi  -

Is it possible to use 1 Web Adaptor for different sites? For example, I'm considering having my production site and development site both use the same Web Adaptor.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
I don't think it can be done. You can have multiple web adaptors, but don't think you can have multiple web adaptors and multiple sites. If wrong, please provide the info.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Steve,

Looking at the help this should be possible:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Deployment_scenarios/015400000488000000/

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
SteveBratt
New Contributor III
It seems that it's talking about multiple machines but still in one site. Or am I reading it wrong?

My desire would be to have a commercial site (with any number of machines) and a developer site using 1 Web adaptor but I'm beginning to think this is not possible or desirable.

I don't know how it would work with licensing either....
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Occasional Contributor III
I don't think it can be done. You can have multiple web adaptors, but don't think you can have multiple web adaptors and multiple sites. If wrong, please provide the info.
SteveBratt
New Contributor III
I thin you're right, Bubba.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Steve,

Is it possible to use 1 Web Adaptor for different sites?

I can confirm Bubba's earlier post: you can't use a Web Adaptor for mutiple ArcGIS Server sites.

One Web Adaptor can only be used for a single ArcGIS Server site, but an ArcGIS Server site can have many Web Adaptors configured for it.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Derek,

Did i read the install help correctly and you can use one web adaptor for both ArcGIS Server and Portal?  I currently have Server 10.1 set up with two web adaptors, one for :80 and one for :443.  I plan to use the :443 version for my portal also.  Will this work?

Just reading and starting the web adaptor install now (the 10.1 upgrade, not new install).
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Rebecca,

Did i read the install help correctly and you can use one web adaptor for both ArcGIS Server and Portal?

Yes, you can use one Web Adaptor for both ArcGIS for Server and Portal for ArcGIS. Please note:

- the release versions of Portal and the Web Adaptor must be the same, so both must be 10.2; and
- the release versions of Server and the Web Adaptor must be the same.

In your case, you are running ArcGIS 10.1 for Server with a 10.1 Web Adaptor. If you want to use Portal for ArcGIS, you will need to use a 10.2 Web Adaptor. Therefore, you won't be able to share a Web Adaptor for both Server and Portal; until you upgrade your Server site to 10.2.

In addition, you can�??t run 10.1 and 10.2 Web Adaptors in the same web server.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Thanks Derek.  I have upgraded Server and Web Adapter to 10.2 now, and that all seems to be working. Yea!  Now I'm just waiting for the Portal authorization number and I'll be ready to give it a try. 🙂
0 Kudos