versioning problem

01-01-2015 12:22 PM
MariaMaldini
New Contributor

I have made 3 versions according to ArcGIS help. I have "Default", "Cases" and "Case1" versions. I expect that case1 version send its changes to Cases version but it sends them directly to Default version. What should I do?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In version manager, did you make Case1 to be a child of Case? If Case1 is posting directly to Default, that means it's a child of Default.

0 Kudos
MariaMaldini
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I followed the ArcGIS help and I attached a image of version manager . Please look at it and mention your idea. Thanks in advancever.png

0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Can you take a complete screen shot of the Geodatabase Administration screen showing your versions? When you click on a version it will report the parent of the version. In order to create a child of a SPECIFIC version your mouse pointer must BE ON that version when you right-click and select new version, as pictured below. Also, what version of Arc are you using, what version of SQL, what operating system, etc...?

re32r432.JPG

0 Kudos
MariaMaldini
New Contributor

I am connecting to SQL Server using "direct connection" ( not using Database Server). I use ArcGIS10, SQL server 2008. I could not find Geodatabase Administrator.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The "Geodatabase Administrator" was introduced at Desktop 10.1, so you wont have that as you are using Desktop 10.0.

You can check the details by right-clicking on the concerned versions in Version Manager and then checking the properties.

prop.PNG

prop2.PNG

0 Kudos
MariaMaldini
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I attached the versions relationship. it seems to be right. Parent of Case1 is Cases

and cases' parent is Default. but as i told already, Case1 posts the changes directly to Default version instead of Cases. ( this issue is so important for me, I do not want editors who work under administrator charge be able to change geodatabase directly. )

versionHIC.png

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

When you are doing the reconcile, make sure you are choosing the correct version (cases) as the Target Version.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
MariaMaldini
New Contributor

I do not  reconcile or post changed data. I am administrator ( cases version). editors do these tasks. so it is my responsibility that design database versioning in a way that Editors ( case1 version) only  excess to Cases version and not to Default. it is possible that Editors (case1) delete some data or do some changes that damage database so they must not access to Default version.

Is there anybody who has already worked versioning and helps me?

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The Access Level of DEFAULT version is "Protected"....so other than 'sde' user or a 'syasadmin' user, nobody else can Post edits to that version or edit in it.

So either your editor has access to credentials of the "sde" login or they have 'sysadmin' permission, which allows them to post edits to the Default. Maybe you should confirm their permissions.

If this is urgent, I'll suggest contact Tech-Support for a quick review.