Select to view content in your preferred language

Version control of map services

11-26-2017 06:23 PM
MarkMindlin
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We are looking for a possible tools/approach/software to have a version control of services on ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 or 10.5.1.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I don't use Server, but I assume you have trolled Inside an ArcGIS Server Site

At which point I will step aside and let others more in tune step in.

0 Kudos
MarkMindlin

Thanks, Dan.

We don't use Site.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Can you please elaborate on what you would like to do? What do you mean by "version control" of services exactly? Are you referring to the software release 'version', or are you referring to a geodatabase 'version' that a map document is connected to when you publish a resource?

0 Kudos
MarkMindlin

Hi Derek,

We need the second one you describe. 

The main functionality - store map documents, compare map services - show diff, roll back to previous version of the map service (previous map document).

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

I am not aware of any software with functionality that allows you to compare different 'version' map services, note their differences and enables roll back to a previous 'version'.

At a conceptual level, the deployment workflow would be: an organization publishes web services to a staging or dev environment. They perform testing and assessment of the web service, verify it meets and supports the business workflow, and when they are ready, they would move the web service to a production/publication server.

Hope this helps,

MarkMindlin

Thanks Derek,

It could be an idea on the ESRI Ideas.

Similar to this one https://community.esri.com/ideas/10170

0 Kudos