Upgrading Data Store, password

Jump to solution
02-03-2020 07:59 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

We are planning an upgrade of our ArcGIS for Server site from v10.4 to v10.7.1.  We experienced a service publishing error that could not be resolved with rigorous troubleshooting with Esri tech support, so the advice was to upgrade Server (which we need to do anyway!).  We do not have the resources to move to ArcGIS for Enterprise at present.  I am reviewing the Esri documentation, but still have questions.  Is the Data Store upgraded during the Server upgrade or is this a separate upgrade.  Either way, does the upgrade save the data store account password, data store connections, etc.?  I have inherited the project from a person no longer here, and I cannot seem to locate a password specified for the data store.  I know the webadaptor is a separate uninstall/install new.  Are there any other issues to watch out for when doing such an upgrade?  Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Jay, I was going to suggest you reach out to Technical Support but I see where you already have a case logged - perfect!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi Jay - ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Data Store are two separate components of ArcGIS Enterprise; they will need to be upgraded individually.  All data store connections will be preserved with the ArcGIS Server upgrade.  If you need to change the password of the account running ArcGIS Data Store, you can use the configureserviceaccount utility.  This explained further in our documentation here.  

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Excellent Jill, thank you. I am reviewing the documentation again (and again, ha!). We are hoping for a smooth transition. I could not locate a Server version 10.7.1 download file other than the one listed under the Enterprise umbrella on MyEsri (same for the web adaptor and data store). So I assume these are three download files to grab?

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Yes, those are the correct files to download!  ArcGIS Enterprise is comprised of ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Data Store, and ArcGIS Web Adaptor (and Portal for ArcGIS) - so the software downloads are located under ArcGIS Enterprise on MyEsri.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Thanks. I see I have to create a new authorization file in MyEsri to move to 10.7.1. It looks like I follow the five steps to generate the new file, place this file in an accessible folder, and have it ready when prompted for it during the install?

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Yep, you should be good to go!

0 Kudos
JayHodny

I am confused again.  Do I have to upgrade the actual enterprise sde geodatabase (there is a GP tool for this) or does the Server upgrade manage that for me?  We use Microsoft SQL.  I get the feeling a sde geodatabase upgrade is a separate step, and is also required to bring everything in line.  That way "all the card players at the table," Server at 10.7.1, our Desktop clients (already at 10.7.1) and Pro (at 2.4.3),  will all play nice with each other?  If all the above is yes, then I noticed a set of server OS requirements for our SQL database server that also need to be met, else game over?

Finally, if we upgrade Server, the web adaptor, data store (and the sde geodatabases [we have two]) now, then at a later date can we install Portal 10.7.1 (and its corresponding web adaptor) and have the fully functioning ArcGIS Enterprise platform in place?  The suggested install order is Portal first, then Server, then the web adaptors and finally the data store.  I am wondering about this level of effort to upgrade Server when we are that close to Enterprise?

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Jay, I was going to suggest you reach out to Technical Support but I see where you already have a case logged - perfect!

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Jill,

As per Esri tech support's recommendation, we did upgrade Server from 10.4 to 10.7.1.  However, the publishing error persists.  Esri tech support has been assisting, but so far we have not been able to resolve this one.  I thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Jay