Upgrade step 2 of 2 : Failed. Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade

1990
9
Jump to solution
02-16-2019 06:14 PM
ScottSumners
New Contributor II

While upgrading ArcGIS Server 10.5 to 10.6.1 I get this error: *Upgrade step 2 of 2 : Failed. Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade.*  The server/site is not getting configured and I had to restore the server from a snapshot backup. Has anyone else had this issue?  My setup on this particular server is ArcGIS Server 10.5 and Web Adaptor 10.5.  arcgisserver

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vipulsoni
Occasional Contributor

HI,

I was finally able to fix it. The error with the Geoprocessing services can be fixed by updating the I.E Version to IE 11.

Server - Windows 2008 R2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AJJohnson
New Contributor

You can attempt to install the ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing Service Startup Patch (ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing Service Startup Patch)

Error: Upgrade step 2 of 2: Failed. Refresh auto-deployed services during upgrade 

Alternatively, you can try this workflow:


Run the 'Configure ArcGIS Server Account' utility and switch from local account to domain account (or vise versa). Manually give full-control permissions for the new account to the install directory (usually C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server), site directory (usually C:\arcgisserver) and Python 27 directory (usually C:\Python27).
Clear the browser cache and attempt site upgrade again.

If neither of these options resolve the issue I would then suggest reaching out to Esri Support if possible.

0 Kudos
vipulsoni
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

The Geoprocessing patch does not apply for ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 and further the workarounds mentioned doesn't help.

This error of upgrade is mentioned in previous arcgis server releases also. then why it is still not properly fixed and it keeps coming up. a very bad experience for esri software users.

0 Kudos
vipulsoni
Occasional Contributor

HI,

I was finally able to fix it. The error with the Geoprocessing services can be fixed by updating the I.E Version to IE 11.

Server - Windows 2008 R2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor II

Hopping on to an answered thread, because I ran into this issue upgrading to 10.7.1 - using firefox as default browser, so it's not the IE issue.  Additionally, there are no non-system GP services published on this server - just 2 map services and 2 feature services.

Wondering if there may be other causes/fixes for this issue 

FrankMartin1
New Contributor III

I'm having the same issue with a 10.7.1 upgrade from 10.6.1.  I'm using Chrome, and I only have one service running.  I did make sure that the local account had full access to the Server, arcgisserver and python directories. 

0 Kudos
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Frank - 

In my case it was an error on my part with the account running the ArcGIS Server windows service.  I used a local account accidentally (by not specifying the domain, it created a local account).  Once I changed it to our usual admin Active Directory account, things were good to go.  I would recommend that if you have the option - I've had issues with local accounts running AGS before, even when they have been given the correct rights on the necessary directories. 

You'd still need to check on the privileges for the AD account though.

0 Kudos
FrankMartin1
New Contributor III

Hi Allen,

Thanks for the information.  I'll see about switching to an AD account with the correct privileges.  Hopefully, that will fix the problem.

Frank 

0 Kudos
AllenScully
Occasional Contributor II

We typically make sure that account is part of an admin group on the server instead of manually granting rights on specific directories - also, seems obvious but we've been burned before - make sure the AD account will be exempt from any mandatory password changes enforced at your organization.

0 Kudos
qnadeem
New Contributor

we recently upgraded ArcGIS Server from 10.4.1 to 10.8.1 and encountered the same problem. after reading this thread, i checked my ArcGIS Server Service Account, and found that it is pointing as local account where as I use the domain account. account was like (.\myuser@mydomain.com) I changed it back to (myuser@mydomain.com) and installed the latest FireFox web Browser, and upgrade the site in FireFox and site was upgraded.

0 Kudos