upgrade 10.5.1 arcgisoutput directories changed?

Jump to solution
05-21-2018 01:57 PM
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

dear Readers,

good afternoon.  our production team migrated the ArcGIS server instance to 10.5.1.  

After the upgrade we observed c:\temp became the 'scratch' or working directory for all the services and GP Functions.  as a result of this change, c:\drive was getting filled up quickly and services/apps were throwing errors,

on the other hand, we verified that site and all services in load balanced clustered DEV instance to be set to:

cache: \\myShare_das\GeoData_FS\directories\arcgiscahe

jobs: \\myShare_das\GeoData_FS\directories\arcgisjobs

output: : \\myShare_das\GeoData_FS\directories\arcgisoutput

system: : \\myShare_das\GeoData_FS\directories\arcgissystem

cache (tiles): \\myCacheServer\arcgiscache

the values are consistent at the site and individual service level.

Since we don't have direct access to the prod servers, we are not able to check this.  we have placed a request for the prod support team to look into it.

Are there any other settings that could be causing the working folders to be set to c:\temp?  the GP service created using python (10.3?) was working well before the upgrade.

we are working closely with prod support team - we wanted to get more ideas while requesting them to make changes if necessary (all in 1 shot if possible).

regards

ravi.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Ravi -- let me really dig into your script now; just finished all my outstanding work and now have some availability

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ravi, actually can you do this for me?

Within your ArcGIS for Server directories, there is a folder called arcgissystem with a subfolder called arcgisinput. The default location for this directory is: C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\

In the input folder you'll see all of your ArcGIS for Server folders and services. Can you navigate to your service, zip up that file, and send a copy?

As an example, I have a GP Service named 'AACSProd_Test' that is within a AGS folder named 'TST' so the path to the folder I'm requesting you zip and send is "C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\TST\AACSProd_Test.GPServer"

After you publish your GP service, AGS does some "tinkering" to the actual python to format it for AGS & 64-bit processing, but this often messes things up. Rather than troubleshoot your script (as you wrote it), it's better to troubleshoot the script as AGS is running it. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Andrew,

good afternoon. My previous reply was lost.  first - thanks for the offer of help.

I don't have login privileges to the production servers. I can request them to give a zip version.  I can try..

Based on Jonathan Quinn's suggestion and ESRI support staff, we are planning to request a windows job to run every few hours to delete unwanted files.

thanks and regards

ravi.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

If you ArcGIS Server site has multiple machines, you'd have UNC paths for the config-store and server directories, (including the arcgisjobs directory). Starting at 10.1, the local jobs directory is used, (C:\Users\<service account>\AppData\Local\Temp), when running GP services for performance reasons.

Performance tips for geoprocessing services—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

But as a task author, you no longer have to specify that your task use the local job directory as it is automatically used if the server participates in a cluster of more than one machine, or the directories are referenced using a UNC path.

The network traffic you see is expected, but the directories switching to C:\temp is not. It could be an artifact of something not going through correctly during the upgrade.

Ravichandran_M_Kaushika
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jonathan Quinn for your help. we are planning to request a Windows job to delete the files every few hours.

thanks and regards

ravi.

0 Kudos