Update from 10.8.1 to 10.9 - Cannot run program "./bin/pg_ctl" - Permission denied

Jump to solution
05-26-2021 12:37 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

while upgrading our ArcGIS Enterprise Installation I ran into a problem upgrading the DataStore. I could successfully upgrade our Portal and Server installation. The upgrade of the DataStore also seemed to work fine, but I cannot configure the datastores according to this  documentation . I always get the following error:

Error encountered: Machine 'https://localhost:2443/arcgis/datastoreadmin' returned an error. 'Attempt to configure data store failed.
Caused by: Database upgrade failed for relational data store.
Caused by: Failed to start relational data store.
Caused by: Cannot run program "./bin/pg_ctl" (in directory "/home/luxplan/data/arcgisdatastore/pgsql10.10"): error=13, Permission denied'

I ran the command with the user that that was used to install the DataStore, and this user is also the owner of the files in question.

Thanks for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem so I decided to do a fresh install of the DataStore which worked.

Probably not the most convenient way, but now it is up and running.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi Alexander, I just finished our 10.8.1 to 10.9 upgrade as well, but I did not run this step.  In fact, I only ran the configuredatastore step at the very beginning of our Enterprise, at 10.6.  I have not run this step since then.

We have the relational data store as primary on one server, and a tile cache as it's own primary on a second server.  When both data store installs finish, I then started and completed the post install for the relational store followed by the post install for the tile cache (default primary-standby mode).  

I then tested that both data stores remained registered with the hosting site.  Since both data stores tested as registered, I considered those upgrades complete.

Since then, I have written and overwritten hosted feature services and vector tile services.  I always thought that once the datastore was configured that re-running the configuredatastore was optional

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Oh also it just occurred to me, did you run the Command Prompt 'as administrator'?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello David,

I should add, that our Portal is running on Linux Servers (Ubunut 20.04).

After the installation/upgrade process I was prompted to visit a URL which would run the configuredatastore utility. That resulted in the error above. Maybe it is not necessary on the windows installation? But when checking the datastores with the ArcGIS Server Manager they are not valid, so I am pretty sure i have to run this step.

I also tried running the command line utility for the configuredatastore but no difference. Running as sudo is not allowed (must be run as the same user that installed the datastore). What I also tried was manually changing the permissions but it seems like the configuredatastore utility changes them back.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok so we're on windows.  I think that's why I never had to run the configuredatastore utility from command line because after the install it opens that webpage for post install which (I think) is the configure data store step - and probably why I can't recall running the utility from command line.

Yes I agree, if the datastores are not validating that means you need that step.  I have always been able to remote into the machines as the admin user (an active directory service account) that installs the software.  In this case, that's the first thing I would try. 

I can tell you I did have to run the updatessl utility, because the 10.9 install reverted my datastore machines back to using the internal self-signed certificate.  We use a wildcard CA-signed cert in pfx format that I placed in the C:\temp folder, and then ran the command with the path, the cert password, and a new alias (as opposed to the alias I had given the cert last year, (e.g. sectigocert became sectigocertds)

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately I couldn't solve the problem so I decided to do a fresh install of the DataStore which worked.

Probably not the most convenient way, but now it is up and running.

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I had to do that with a tile cache store at 10.6.x.  Fortunately I have not had to perform that exercise with the relational store.  I'd probably have to accept some data loss, depending on my backup frequency and/or whether or not we would have been able to even run a full manual backup prior to a re-install and restore.  Glad you got it back up.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just came across the same issue upgrading from 10.8.1 to 10.9.1. This was the error message when I tried to run configuredatastore. We are also running on Linux Servers (Ubuntu 20.04)

Error encountered: Machine 'https://localhost:2443/arcgis/datastoreadmin' returned an error. 'Attempt to configure data store failed. Caused by: Database upgrade failed for relational data store. Caused by: Upgrade from '10.10' to '12.4' is not supported.'

Rather than spend time investigating, we opted to just reinstall datastore because it doesn't take too long.

0 Kudos