Unable to load proxy?_proxyUrl=https://url.com/portal/sharing/generateToken status: 401

06-15-2021 12:18 PM
MHojati
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have deployed a single machine arcgis enterprise on the AWS, and portal seems to be working well, however the federated server is not working and when I try to login I get the following error

```

Unable to load proxy?_proxyUrl=https://url.com/portal/sharing/generateToken status: 401

```

interestingly the url `https://url.com/portal/sharing/generateToken` seems to have been deprecated and when I use it in the browser I get a warning that says I need to use rest version of the url.

can you please help me find out what is wrong with the installation? thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

A 401 normally means an IWA challenge, but you're in AWS so unless the machine is domain joined and you've set IWA on the portal web adaptor, that's kind of strange. I'd check the authentication for the portal web adaptor or default website to see if Anonymous Authentication is enabled and Windows Authentication is disabled.

MHojati
New Contributor II

@JonathanQuinn Thanks,

But I am on a linux machine on AWS. So how I can enable Anonymous Authentication?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Has anybody have updates about this? i'm facing the same problem but i'm on windows. i checked  authentication config  for portal and server webadaptor, and it's ok, Anonymous Authentication is enabled and Windows Authentication is disabled.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

I also have gotten this error, but mine shows when I am trying to log into server manager.

tward
by
New Contributor

same issue as above. Error when I try to log into server manager on localhost

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

@tward I can't say that this issue is easily resolved without the usage of a backup, also we are still fighting this issue, it's been 7 weeks and we finally made some head way of getting our content back.  With the assistance of esri's support we moved our content's folder from the old site using robocopy and placing it on a shareable drive this was also done with the datastore tile cache data. we setup up Portal, web adapter, server, and datastore on the new VM instance.

once portal was verified to work on the new VM instance, with esri's rep's assistance with set the old VM's webadapter to the new instance so we could see if the new portal install on the new VM could view the old content and it did, but we ran into another problem where the server and datastore wasn't registered, so none of the data was available for the web maps, apps, and other apps.

long story short we were able to get the website up but we still do not have access to our data yet.

0 Kudos
tward
by
New Contributor

Wow, what a headache. Thank you so much for the information. This happened to us after Windows patches were installed last night. I currently have a ticket open with ESRI and as predicted they are recommending a rollback via snapshot.

KB5030178 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework

KB5030214 (OS Build 17763.4851)

0 Kudos
KThomasson
Occasional Contributor

@tward Yep we also had windows patches that we think might have been the reason.  I also believe this is one reason why esri recommends that enterprise user's go with at least 3 AWS or 3 in house server VM set ups for enterprise over a single machine use.  Good luck and I am sorry I couldn't offer any definitive answer.  I will try to post back here if we do find a actual answer to this issue.

0 Kudos