I've run into a problem that has me stumped. A while back I made a custom print template and published it to ArcGIS Server, and it worked great for a while, but all of a sudden I can't print some secured services that reside on the same ArcGIS Server instance as the print tool. The only clue I'm getting from my server logs is the message that Export Web Task is failing to create a layer from the service in question. In my latest example, I had a service that's shared with my organization throw this exception, but it began working once that same map service was made public. Again, everything is on the same server, and I'm stumped as to why it's now not working as expected. Thoughts?
Hi @BenClark ,
We recently had a similar issue with a custom print service where it didn't work for a secured layer hosted on the same ArcGIS Server (!). What worked for us is republishing from an external client (ArcMap) using ArcGIS Server DNS URL as a connection - previously tool was published using ArcGIS Server connection via internal machine name, however the Custom Print Service was being accessed via external DNS. Hope this helps!
It might come down to that, @Irina_Rakhimova, but I think I'm dealing with a bigger issue: I was poking around today, revisiting this issue, and I'm not even able to pull up server logs to see what's manifesting there; the status bar just sits there like it's loading log entries but it never goes anywhere...
Hey @BenClark ,
I would check what Irina said. I have seen where the logs would not generate properly if the disk space is full where ArcGIS Server is installed. Also, were there any authentication changes made to your ArcGIS Server / Portal when you realized the issue started occurring? Does the same issue happen if you use the ArcGIS Server default print service instead of the custom Print template?
Please let me know!
This item took a back seat while I sorted some other things out, but I finally tackled it again today. It turns out that I needed to embed credentials in the service, as discussed here. The ArcGIS Pro method is somewhat beyond my current skillset, but I was able to do this using the simpler ArcMap method.
I have problem that is very similar to yours. I've also had a working custom print service, but now I can't print secured services. I'm sure that I published my print service from ArcGIS Pro since my custom layouts is in pro-format (.pagx). Do you remember if you published your custom print service from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap from the beginning??
I've tried the Pro method without any luck, but the documentation and my skills aren't the best so I don't really know how to do it. I would prefer not redo my layout templates in ArcMap, (specially when 10.9.x is the last version to support services published from ArcMap.)
Good morning Mattias,
I'm sorry to hear that you've run into this too. I've found that there's one heck of a learning curve when it comes to secured print services...
Initially, I published a secured service from ArcMap with embedded credentials, but that inexplicably broke a few weeks ago. I then revisited the idea of publishing via Pro (much preferred) and since our Portal deployment uses web-tier authentication for secured items the new service generally works without the need for any additional scripting/embedding of credentials--if one of my Enterprise users is already logged in, based on their Windows credentials, then they can easily print secured items.
Which method are you using to publish from Pro? I recall looking at this documentation for help, in particular the first paragraph. Depending on how your Portal is secured, on your application server you may need to change the setting in IIS that disallows web-tier authentication for the ArcGIS Server web adaptor only.
Thanks for your reply Ben.
I thouht we had web-tier authentication for both portal and server web adaptors, so I was going to try changing IIS setting for server web adaptor, but it turned out our server web adaptor already was set to disallow web-tier authentication.
I'm almost embarrassed to say, but clearing my browser cache memory finally solved the problem. I don't know if it was just that all along or that in combination with one of all other thing I've tried the last days...