The Create Feature task could not be completed

07-25-2018 05:23 AM
SeanHarrison
New Contributor

I have multiple user that are getting the same errors randomly throughout the day. It's never consistent on the time and user that it happens to. I've done multiple searches and can't find anything similar to my issue. My assumption is that the error is just a random software crash and not network or system related. 

Every workstation is running ArcMap for Desktop 10.4.1 on a Windows 10 Pro OS.  

-Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Christopher28
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sean,

check the Windows Event Viewer. I had a similar problem with a customer that sometimes editing processes could not be completed. The reason was that the size of the Windows swap file was exhausted and had fixed values configured. If the limit was reached, no more processes could be processed and thus the editing processes occasionally ran into an error. However, since the assignment of the file was not fixed, the error did not always occur.

Since the file was enlarged, no more problems occurred.

SeanHarrison
New Contributor

Christopher,

Is there any detriment of disabling the page file all together? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Christopher28
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sean,

Definitely yes! In my experience, the system then runs anything but stable.
I have to admit that the cooperation of ArcGIS (SOC processes) with the Windows swap file is not quite clear to me. In the example I mentioned the RAM usage was 70/80% but still there were problems because the swap file could not be enlarged anymore. Apparently it is also used (or should be used by the operating system) when RAM is still available because we had problems on other systems when it was completely disabled.

Greetings

0 Kudos