Suddenly Can't Publish Feature Services? v10.3

08-06-2015 04:02 PM
Occasional Contributor III

I just tried to publish a feature service, and I get two errors:

First, in Desktop, I get this error:

"Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.  Please consult the GP Results Window for enhanced error description or contact your administrator for the server logs."  (no useful info in GP results window)

Then, I log into Server Manager, and the service is there, but is stopped.  I try to start it, and get these errors:

Error executing tool.: ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service. Failed to execute (Publish Service Definition).

Failed to create the service.: ERROR: Service failed to start, Internal server error.

Core server call to create service failed.

Initialization failed.

The Layer:'LayerName' in Map:'Dataframe' is invalid. The base table definition string "tablename" is invalid. Failure to access the DBMS server.

I can publish the same data as a simple Mapping-only service successfully.  To my knowledge, nothing about the permissions on the server have changed.

Any idea how to start troubleshooting?  Also note: everything is configured appropriately for the feature service capabilities, there are no errors on analysis, etc.

Thanks!

SQL Server 2008 R2/AGS 10.3

22 Replies

Thanks Steven.  There is only a single data source in the mxd, and I'm using data which I know to be associated with pre-existing services which are running correctly. 

I thought permissions initially, too, but I'm not aware of any changes having been made to permissions, and this system has been working for some time.

I forgot to include the message I get in ArcGIS Server when I try to start the service:

Service failed to start

ServiceName.MapServer:

machine.domain.name

Can not open file path\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem\arcgisinput\ServiceName\extracted\v101\ServiceName.msd. The system cannot find the path specified. Probable cause: The file is inaccessible to Server.

So, it says "Server" can't get to the file.  BUT, didn't "Server" create the file?  The service gets created, but simply won't start.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It might be referring to the actual server, not ArcGIS Server.

some things  to check, has the IP address hasn't changed on any of your servers lately​? Or do you have invalid characters in the layer name?   Error 001359 when publishing map service to ArcGIS server 10.1 - Geographic Information Systems Stac...

0 Kudos

No special characters, and if the IP address was the issue, no services would publish at all.  In this case, a service with Mapping capability only will publish and start successfully.  It is only Feature Access capability which is affected.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Have you restarted the ArcGIS Server instance from the services menu?  If that didn't work, you may try restarting the machine ArcGIS Server is installed on.

You could also install 10.3.1 and see if that fixes the issue.

What version of MXD are you using?  You might try opening a new MXD and copying the layers from the old to the new and publish from there.

-Steven

The problem doesn't exist in my test environment (also v10.3) and this has all been working fine until recently; I'm trying to figure out what change could have occurred to cause the problem.  The problem occurs with new and old mxds.

I appreciate the replies, everyone!  Looks like Esri support is the next step.  I'll post an update when it is resolved.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Caroline_Akoth
New Contributor II

Hi Marianne Farretta​ How did you eventually solve this? I'm having the same error message trying to overwrite a service i had previously published

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Marianne,

In the MXD, are you using OS Authentication or Database Authentication for the database connection properties? If you are using DB authentication, are these settings the same as what's used in the Data Store? If you are using SQL Server and OS authentication, has the "arcgis" account been added in SQL Server Management Studio and given the necessary permissions to view and modify the data? If you uncheck all of the capabilities for a feature service except for Query, are you able to publish?

Thanks,

Scott

Here is the update:

In my scenario, there are two systems: one "internal" and one "public."  The data

is replicated from internal SDE to public SDE, then a map/feature service is

published using the internal SDE as the Publisher database, and the external SDE

as the Server database.

At one point, all of the passwords in the internal SDE were changed at once.  At that time, I

updated the appropriate SDE connection files and re-imported them to the ArcGIS

Server data stores.  When this problem presented, and all other options were exhausted, I did that step again.  This resolved the issue, though I'm still trying to figure out exactly why.

There are a few things about this scenario which still don't add up for me.  First, I could not reproduce this error in either test or development environments, and second, the internal database credentials should not have been a factor at all.  This points to an anomaly in the production environment, or a variable I haven't yet considered.

Scott: database authentication, unchecking all except Query: still failed.  Map service would publish, but wouldn't render (discovered this after my initial post).  Feature services would be created, but would not start.

0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor

Marianne,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue by updating the database connection files and the server's data store again. It's hard to say what exactly happened, since repeating the same steps resolved it. As far as we can tell, ArcGIS Server had some trouble with the database users/passwords that were provided.

Attempting to publish the service with just the Query capability was meant to show if we had a problem with editing permissions for the publisher or server connection file. Since it still failed to publish, it appears one of the connection files was causing the issue, but we can't definitively say why.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JayJohnson3
New Contributor II

I encountered this same error when publishing a feature service by sharing from ArcMap. I was able to publish the map service without feature access just fine. I discovered that I could enable feature access, to include all operations, if I logged into our ArcGIS Server Manager web interface. There, I could edit the map service and then save & restart it successfully.

Jay