Select to view content in your preferred language

Stop Services when taking database backup

Jump to solution
07-22-2023 01:58 AM
wizgis
by
Frequent Contributor

Hi Community, 

I have a PostgreSQL geodatabase registered with our ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1. and there are certain referenced map services published from this database.

We are now in the process of migrating the database to a new machine; hence, I wanted to know while taking the backup of the geodatabase should all referenced services (map, feature etc) be stopped or can I take backup of geodatabase without stopping the services.

I went through the following doc : https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-back-up-a-postgresql-geodatabase-for-esri-suppo... however, there is no mention of what to do with services published to ArcGIS Enterprise.

Any insights would be useful. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

if you want to capture a PostgreSQL database backup when the data is not been modified by any applications or services and your users agree with the downtime, then stop the ArcGIS Server Services, especially if you have feature services that are used to edit the data, you shall also disconnect all users connected via ArcGIS Pro and/or ArcMap, then take the PostgreSQL database backup.

Otherwise, if you cannot afford the downtime then it is still ok to take the PostgreSQL backup with all the ArcGIS Server Services running.

In Production, we take PostgreSQL backups with all the ArcGIS Server Services running and all the ArcGIS Pro & ArcMap users connected.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |

View solution in original post

5 Replies
balbasorus
New Contributor

Probably best not to reveal who you are then, I don't want my online accounts manged on the cheap... a bit of redundancy seems pretty important for a 24/7 business critical service https://mobdro.bio/ 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you can take the backup of the PostgreSQL database without stopping the ArcGIS Server Services.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
wizgis
by
Frequent Contributor

@MarceloMarques 

Thank you for confirming that database backup can be taken without stopping map, feature services however, just out of curiosity if I do stop the map services will it cause any issue. 

Guess am just trying to understand what would happen if I stop services vs I don’t stop the services when taking the backup of geodatabase. 

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

if you want to capture a PostgreSQL database backup when the data is not been modified by any applications or services and your users agree with the downtime, then stop the ArcGIS Server Services, especially if you have feature services that are used to edit the data, you shall also disconnect all users connected via ArcGIS Pro and/or ArcMap, then take the PostgreSQL database backup.

Otherwise, if you cannot afford the downtime then it is still ok to take the PostgreSQL backup with all the ArcGIS Server Services running.

In Production, we take PostgreSQL backups with all the ArcGIS Server Services running and all the ArcGIS Pro & ArcMap users connected.

wizgis
by
Frequent Contributor

@MarceloMarques  This helps. 

Thank you for your insights. 

0 Kudos