Start and Stop options greyed out

Jump to solution
11-19-2019 11:33 AM
SarojThapa1
Occasional Contributor III

I have a feature layer hosted in Portal for ArcGIS. I was trying to "Stop" the service in ArcGIS Server to enable Enable Ownership Based Access Control ,but both "Start" and "Stop" options are greyed out as shown on the image below. I have admin rights to both Portal and ArcGIS Server. Could anyone please help me solve this issue?   

Thank You!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi Saroj - you cannot stop/start hosted services through ArcGIS Server Manager.  This functionality is only available for non-hosted services.  You can stop/start hosted services through an ArcGIS Server connection in ArcMap or ArcCatalog though.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi Saroj - you cannot stop/start hosted services through ArcGIS Server Manager.  This functionality is only available for non-hosted services.  You can stop/start hosted services through an ArcGIS Server connection in ArcMap or ArcCatalog though.

SarojThapa1

Thank you, Jill. I learned new thing from you. 

WarrenMedernach

Hi @jill_es,

I'm trying to update cache locations of some hosted services and just came across this post, and I have a couple questions:

1. I've been able to stop the hosted service from ArcCatalog, but is there no way to do this from Pro?
  2. Once I've stopped the hosted service, I can go into the service from Server Manager and make the change to the directory I want, but the Save button is greyed out so I cannot save this change?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Warren

0 Kudos
jill_es
Esri Contributor

Hi @WarrenMedernach - the behavior you're describing is all expected.  Hosted feature services are inherently different than referenced feature services, they shouldn't need to be started or stopped like referenced services might.  

If you could elaborate on your workflow, we'd love to hear more about it on the ArcGIS Enterprise Ideas board!

0 Kudos
AlKamuda1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Pro is missing the server admin tools that Desktop / Catalog have.  With Pro and using SAML for a federated Portal the option to administer server to stop any services is not available especially hosted.  And logging into ArcGIS Server manager hosted are still greyed out leaving with a clunky option to shut down hosted services in ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory site unless I'm missing something.  

0 Kudos
RobertPresley
New Contributor

Is it still the case that you can't start/stop hosted services from Server Manager? From my experience, it seems to be. I disagree with the assertion that hosted services "shouldn't need to be started or stopped like referenced services might." We are migrating from an old portal to a new one on a different server. We need to make sure that all scripts and url references in other GIS-related products have been pointed to the new services and nothing is still pointing to the old.

We've done all we can to make sure we have, but AFAIK, the only definite way to be sure we didn't miss anything is to shut down the old hosted services and see if anything is still pointing to them. We don't want to shut down the old portal completely as we aren't finished migrating other services. If anyone has a better workflow, I'm all ears, but regardless of the type of service, we should be able to shut it down if we need to.

0 Kudos