SSL certificate issue when starting ArcMap

12-10-2019 08:40 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I am getting following error when starting ArcMap (10.7.1)

When I click View Certificate I can see that it relates to an old enterprise installation with an expired ssl certificate. Buuut, I have this enterprise nowhere linked in my ArcGIS applications. I think I tried to connect to it some weeks ago using ArcPro... But no issues in ArcPro so far...

If I click Yes, I can work with ArcMap but I cannot connect to ArcGIS Online, also in ArcCatalog the same. I also checked in the connections in the Administrator tool but the site is also not connected there. 

Any idea how I can get rid of this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Nicole,

Perhaps you could check the following directory for an old connection file:

C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Esri/Desktop10.x/ArcCatalog

Or, check the Windows Credential Manager to see if an old login was saved.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Rachel, I removed all connection files that I could find and also checked the Credential Manager (no entries for servers found) but it still tries to connect to this portal 😞

Any other idea?

0 Kudos
RachelSears
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Nicole,

Does the issue persist after installing the certificate as a trusted root authority on the machine?

Also, are any crash dump files (.dmp) being generated? The default directory is %LOCALAPPDATA%\ESRI\ERRORREPORTS

Feel free to attach any dump files or email them to me and I can take a look at it.

Best,

Rachel

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

The dump files I found are only for ArcPro 2.4.1, the most recent one from 29th Nov. 2019.

I am sending you the link to the dump files in a private message. 

Yes, I also tried to install the certificate but it doesn't make a difference. 

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Try checking this path in the registry. Does the invalid host exist there?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Online\SignIn
0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Randall, 

Sorry for the late reply. 

If I remember correctly the invalid host was nowhere to be found but suddenly the error didn't appear any longer, no idea why. I'm mainly using ArcGIS Pro now but when I wanted to test something in ArcMap after some time it suddenly worked without problem. 

0 Kudos