Select to view content in your preferred language

Sql express geodatabase "Database server" - 2 editors

Jump to solution
12-23-2015 08:46 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all,

We have 2 concurrent editors here working on the same SQL Express geodatabase in ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.2.1. We have the data registered as versioned but we are actually both editing the Default version of the geodatabase, instead of versioned copies of the geodatabase.

We have recently been having very slow editing performance. Do you think it's because we aren't editing our own transactional version of the geodatabase?

I rebuild indexes and update database statistics through ArcCat on a daily basis, sometimes more often than that to try and speed it up.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Even though you are not using versions, you should compress the database.  When you register a feature class as versioned, an A & D table are created.  These tables are where the edits are stored until you perform a compress.  When the compress occurs, it moves the edits to the base table and clears out the A & D tables. 

When the database is not compressed, the A & D tables will continue to grow.  The larger the A & D tables are, the longer it will take to query these tables and retrieve the data.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Andrea,

Are you also compressing the database?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jake,

Well, I wondered if I needed to? Since I'm not using versions? When I was reading about compressing it seemed like it was for versions. What do you think?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Even though you are not using versions, you should compress the database.  When you register a feature class as versioned, an A & D table are created.  These tables are where the edits are stored until you perform a compress.  When the compress occurs, it moves the edits to the base table and clears out the A & D tables. 

When the database is not compressed, the A & D tables will continue to grow.  The larger the A & D tables are, the longer it will take to query these tables and retrieve the data.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's the information that I was looking for. I appreciate the quick answer! It's working fast so far after a compress, rebuild indexes & update statistics.

Thank you!

0 Kudos