Secured services not visible in services directory

03-08-2013 02:03 PM
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
Hello,
I have created an application using the Flex application builder. I am now trying to get things set up so the application can access secured services. I have set up a User and Role using the ArcGIS Server built-in store.  I then secured the two services which will be used in the application via ArcGIS Server Manager. My plan now is to implement access by including the token in the map request by setting the token property of the service in the config.xml file. However, when I login to the Services Directory page with the user I created, the secured services are not visible. Other non-secured services are visible, but not the secured ones I need to generate a token for. What could be the reason these secured services are not visible?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
StevenMoore1
Esri Contributor
Hi,

This may seem like a basic question, but does the role that you created have access to the services that you secured?
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
Hi Steve,

Yes, the role should have access to the service. In ArcGIS Server Manager I went in to the Edit Permissions screen for the service and added the role. When I go back in to double check I see that the role is indeed listed there. I selected "Private, only available to selected users". I did not check "Allow access to all users who are logged in" - should I? I didn't check this because I am going to have multiple users within a role and I want them to only be able to see the services for the specific user they logged in with.
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
It would be expected behavior for secured services not the be listed in the REST services directory unless you're logged in.

Have you noticed this behavior while logged in? When you're in the REST services directory, check in the top right corner to see if it says "login" or "logout". You should be able to see them while logged in.

Daniel, S.
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
I understand it would be expected behavior if I were not logged in. The issue is that I am logged in and am not seeing the services.
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III
Lisa, sorry if I missed it, but are the secured services contained within a folder, or at root? If at root, I suspect trouble there. If at folder, someone will ask you to check the roles at that level (I know I know...).

So, the summary questions:

• Secured Items at root or folder?

• when you say services location: are you referring to navigating to rest via browser or via the add layers within the flex builder?

• If navigating via browser, try clearing browser cache; if flex try logging out and back in again.

• last, you could always try to restart the services...shouldn't have to at 10.1 but worth a try!

Get back to us, we'll get ya fixed up.
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
Hi Zachary,

Thank you for your response.

The services are not in the root, they are in a folder. That folder is not secured as it will contain both secured and unsecured services. The folder is currently marked as "Public, available to everyone".

I am navigating to the rest service via a browser. I have the cache disabled on my browser, but I went ahead and took the actions to clear the cache anyhow. This did not change the situation. 

I went ahead and restarted the services, but as suspected this did not change things either.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III
Ok, what happens if you secure the folder with the same roles/credentials as the services? And before that, what happens if you supply the REST endpoint for one of the secured services in the browser?
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
Just wanted to let you all know I discovered the issue. I had failed to actually add the User as a Role Member in the Role settings. Oh the details!

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos