Select to view content in your preferred language

Republishing an existing map service with the same name without stopping the old one ?

12-12-2014 09:49 AM
AhmadSALEH1
Frequent Contributor

Please, consider the following scenario:

1. The following mosaic dataset contains 3 images in it, it was published as a service and cashed, and it works fine and many organizations read from my server.

000099.jpg

2. I need to add 2 more images to the same mosaic dataset, so the shape of the new published service will be similar to the screenshot below.

000100.jpg

Now my question is what is the best practice to update the old published service such that the new one reflects the change in the mosaic dataset and shows the 5 images?

Note that I want to publish it with the same name in order not to interrupt the other organizations “not to change the link to this service in their web mapping applications”.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeFlannery
Honored Contributor

Are you running a map service or an image service?  I am running image services.  Right-click on the image service in ArcCatalog, choose Manage Cache then Manage Tiles.  In the Manage Map Server Cache Tiles window, note the Update Mode drop-down.  One of the options is Recreate_Empty_Tiles.

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1
Frequent Contributor

Many thanks Joe Flannery,

I am running a map service should I follow the same scenario?

I am testing it, i will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately doesn't work with me

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Honored Contributor

Ahmad:

Bummer...  Is your ArcGIS for Server licensed with the Image Server Extension?  If it is, then try publishing/caching your mosaic dataset directly to an Image Service.  If not, it appears that your area of imagery is not too huge, it may not take that long to re-cache your project.

Good luck with your work.'

Joe