Select to view content in your preferred language

Registering Database in Arcgis for Server

11-27-2013 03:26 AM
TerryInniss
New Contributor II
I am having an issue registering my database with arcgis for server. Below is the message:

The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.

However, I can connect to the database using the same database connection that I am using to register the database. I have an Oracle 11g geodatabase. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Regular Contributor II
Terry,

You have to install Oracle Client (64-bit). ArcGIS Server is a 64-bit application and it require 64-bit client. You were able to make a connection using Database Connection, because ArcGIS for Desktop is a 32-bit application.

When modifying the PATH variable, the 64-bit client must be listed first followed by the 32-bit client.
0 Kudos
niteshjauhari1
New Contributor

Terry,

An alternative to a direct connect syntax to register a database is to use Easy Connect syntax which uses easy connect drivers in Oracle to connect to the database.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/oraclenetservices-neteasyconnect-13305...

Below are the steps that you may carry out to register an Oracle database using an easy connect syntax :

1) Set “path” in the system variables in environment variable beginning from 64 bit client.

(e.g.- D:\app\NiteshJa\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin;D:\app\Oracle_Client\bin;).

D:\app\NiteshJa\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\bin – 64 bit client path.

D:\app\Oracle_Client\bin -  32 bit client path.

2) Now from Arc Catalog use easy connect syntax to connect to the geodatabase and provide in instance name.

easy connect syntax is "server_machine_name/database_name"

3) Once connected from Arc Catalog, go to Manager page >> Site >> Data Store >>Register Database and provide the sde connection file.

For easy connect syntax, you should have an entry of “EZCONNECT” in NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH in Oracle Client sqlnet file. The path for sqlnet file is “D:\app\Oracle_Client\network\admin”.

=======================================

Example for sqlnet file :

1. SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

1. NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

Regards,

Nitesh J.

0 Kudos